1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oops mystery chicks...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by teamcarp33, Mar 3, 2014.

1. teamcarp33

teamcarp33 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    So I went to pick up some eggs to practice with in my new incubator and there were 4 week old chicks. Of course I bought two ;) they are mixed breed and I'm a novice, so can anyone help guess breeds and genders? They both have feathered legs/feet and the blue one has kind of fluffy cheeks (EE?). Four toes. Thanks for looking! [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. teamcarp33

Jul 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

3. teamcarp33

Jul 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

4. teamcarp33

Jul 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

5. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    This one looks like a Light Brahma

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure on the first, dark bird, but the second one is probably a Light Brahma.

7. teamcarp33

Jul 5, 2011
    Any guess on gender;)

8. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree Light Brahma mix...and the dark one...hmmmmm.....I'd say Production Red mix of some sort, but you say it has feathered feet...maybe some Cochin in it???? But the tail is too pointy...yeah, red one is a mix...not sure what.

And I'm thinking females thus far...the red light throws things off for the dark bird, but if that comb is still completely yellow....I'd say looking like females thus far.

But mixes are more difficult as there are so many genes floating around that they don't develop on the schedules of the standard breeds.

However, having said that, I find my mixes develop more quickly. So my mixed females will get more yellow comb growth than I would be comfortable with in a standard breed and call it female.

Therefore, I am saying female thus far.

As long as those combs stay nice and yellow until teenage, you should have 2 females.

If male, then those combs will get large and red fast.

My experience.

Lady of McCamley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by