OOPS! Welcome to the Neighborhood. :D

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BrattishTaz, Dec 2, 2011.

1. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Ok, so it is 4:25 am right now and I have already had my goof of the day. [​IMG]

About half an hour ago I heard the sound of a car motor. I live in a fairly isolated area with few neighbors and no through traffic so this is unusual. I looked out of the window and see a car pulling into the yard next door. This property has been vacant for 2 or 3 months now. After considering it for a moment, I decided to call the police.

While I was waiting for the police, I saw three men enter the house and turn on the lights. (I know the lights were never turned off after the last people moved out.) The shadows of these men were moving about the house, going back outside, re-entering, etc... It is pitch black outside so I had no idea what they were up to.

After a few minutes, a police car turned onto our street and stopped in front of my driveway. I stuck my head out of my door, pointed, and went back inside quickly. I then called them back to tell them what I could see because the windows can't be seen from the street. The officer told me the gate was locked. He eventually got in and within a couple of minutes he and three men marched back to the police car. I could see IDs being check and a lot of chatting back and forth. The officer made several trips back into the house and backyard with the "suspects".

I watched as the three men walked backed to the house together. The police car pulled away. My phone rang as this was happening. The officer told me that new people are moving in. [​IMG] They had just driven straight from Indiana to the house. The wife and kids are a little behind them and should be here soon. The officer told me they are very nice people. [​IMG] I told him that I would start baking cookies as a peace offering and thanked him for checking it out. [​IMG]

I guess the question is.......After trying to have a new neighbor arrested, do you bake oatmeal or chocolate chip? [​IMG] Do you think they would like a rooster too?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    [​IMG] I would have done the same thing. Poor new folks.

3. Orpingtons4U

Orpingtons4U Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Central Virginia
    Quote:let them bring the kids to your house and let the kids play with your birds and let them check for eggs and thats all i got for now LOL

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Embarrassing,but the neighbors will appreciate someone who is on guard! My mom went to a house that was recently sold,because there was a lot of burning going on.Wanted to be sure there was no fire.She met the new owner who was burning trash,and they are on good terms.

I would have worried too.Read stories about vacant homes getting squatted and trashed for supplies.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Peanut cookies might help. [​IMG] Hey, at least you are an alert neighbor! Don't feel bad, I had someone call an ambulance on me yesterday. A person driving by the shop saw my feet sticking out from under the Clauss Hay Baler and assumed the worse. There I was, working on clearing away a year's worth of oil, dead grass, and various grime. Next thing I know, I hear the siren and sent a silent prayer to whomever needed help. I was quite surprised to see a face peer at me, and nearly stabbed the poor fellow with a screwdriver.

Anyway, after the initial fright, we laughed, and I appreciate the concern of a passing driver.

6. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Actually, your new neighbors will probably be glad to know that they have a neighbor who is so alert and cares! I would be........

7. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    HAHA! funny. fudge is a good treat too. I think you should give them some farm fresh eggs too! [​IMG]

8. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Were I in their position I'd be thinking one of 2 things.

1 - There is a nutcase neighbor who watches everything and is keen on poking their nose into everybody elses business

or

2 - This is a close knit neighborhood where everybody watches out for each other.

I'd recommend cookies without any nuts.

9. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Most everyone loves chocolate chip! [​IMG]

Might even be good to make them a casserole too since they been traveling, they may not have much in the line of food on hand or unpacked enough for cooking!

(don't do anything with peanuts, kids could have allergies - you don't want a total disaster on your hands!)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  10. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    With the cookies just tell them you all look out for each other in these parts. They will be thankful.....hopefully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by