Oozing crop puncture

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ninjagirl, Dec 9, 2012.

1. ninjagirl

ninjagirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    Hi everyone! I have a 9 month old Ameraucana (from a breeder) pullet (hasn't laid yet!) that is oozing partially digested food and fluid from a small hole in her crop towards the top. I went to lock them in for the night and did a "roost headcount" and noticed her chest was wet and upon further inspection saw a tiny tear in the skin covering the crop. I cleaned with warm water and betadine and manipulated it around and it didn't seem to be oozing any more. I put ssd ointment on her wound and set her down. She nonchalantly walked over to the coop and set herself back up on the roost. After finishing up with horse chores I checked in on her again and could see fluid dripping from her. It seems to only drip when she is hunckered down in sleep mode. Is there anything else I can do? I have already tried in the past to locate a vet willing to work on chickens but the one that was willing to had no clue what to do just offered to take radiographs. If anyone can give me some advice on this matter I would sure appreciate it and I am sure Dragon would too. Thank you!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  3. ninjagirl

Sep 2, 2012
    Thanks for the reply!
    That just seems a bit invasive for such a tiny tear in the skin, and I can't even locate th e hole in the crop. It must need to line up right to drain because when I hold/handle her nothing comes out and I don't see where the crop itself is open just a small (<1cm) cut. I would be afraid to sew it up and trap the draining fluid in the body wall...

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could try super glue...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    If it were me I would sew her up right away and keep her isolated until she is healed and on a very controlled diet without solid foods.

You need to make sure that you sew up her skin AND her crop. It may look like just a tiny hole in the skin but the crop is the closest thing a chicken has to a stomach so a hole in it is a bad thing. If you think the two holes are not lining up then it is likely that food and bacteria are leaking into her body cavity and you really do not want to let this continue.

If you can not easily find the hole in the crop I would cut her skin open further until you can. Unless you have access to dissolving stitches I would take the crop and the skin and carefully sew them all together. It will be a big scar but will insure that nothing is leaking into her body.

You could try to super glue or medical glue each individually. I did try this when I did crop surgery but it did not hold and I ended up sewing. I have done a successful crop surgery if you have more questions.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How is she?

7. ninjagirl

Sep 2, 2012
    She passed away after surgery. Anesthesia was too much on her I guess.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So sorry for your loss!

9. ninjagirl

Sep 2, 2012
    Thanks. It's sad to lose one but devastating when it's a favorite that you hatched out. She is missed. The roost looks empty.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I know how you feel... Take care of yourself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by