Oozing eye

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by oneeyesue, Feb 11, 2017.

1. oneeyesue

oneeyesue New Egg

Feb 11, 2017
    My father has a turkey and for about 4 to 5 months now her eye has been swollen shut to the point you could not even see where a eye is supposed to be. This week the swelling has gone down enough that you can see where she should have a eye if she could open it. Also yesterday I noticed something white that almost looked like a maggot in it. Today I went to check on her and it is oozing and smells rotten. She still eats and laying eggs. I have gotten attached to her so I do not want to lose her. I have been letting nature do it's thing but what could be going on?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under oneeyesue [​IMG] Welcome!

Redsoxs has given you some good starting points but your description of her eye does not sound good. If you have one close and it is feasible, I definitely recommend an Avian Vet.

I hope that she recovers.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That eye needs attention NOW!! If it is filled with maggots, they can migrate to her brain. There are things than can help flush them out of wounds but, would not be good to use in an eye.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Welcome to BYC. You have some great links, so i will just wish you the best of luck.

CT

6. oneeyesue

oneeyesue New Egg

Feb 11, 2017
    What would I use to flush her eye out? Also any ideas to keep her calm? She gets close to me but does not allow me to pick her up easily

7. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I've never raised turkeys but a lot of BYC'ers have...the members over on the turkey forum or the ER forum will be able to help you out.

Good luck!

8. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    Find a cardboard box that is about as large as she is, Cut a hole in a the box catch her and put her in it with here head sticking out. She will fight it but she will be more manageable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by