Opal male bred to purple female, what happens?

Mmmaddie13

Songster
9 Years
Mar 5, 2011
Berthoud, CO
So with just getting into peas this year, I have acquired 14 beautiful birds, and only one of which is breeding age this year (he'll be 6 this summer), the rest will be 1 this summer. I have been open to purchasing a hen of breeding age for him, I would like an Opal like him (he is Opal Silver Pied), but those are hard to come by lol! I found a listing on Craigslist that has a Purple Black Shoulder Silver Pied hen for sale.. And I'm wondering, since Purple is sex linked, what would happen if I bred an Opal Silver Pied male to a Purple B/S Silver Pied female? If anyone has any idea. :) I'm not so good with sex-linked colors.

Thanks!

Hi, You will get 1) WHITE MALE carrying (or split to ) opal and purple genes. 2 ) WHITE MALE split to opal and black shoulder 3) INDIABLUE SILVERPIED MALES carrying two W/E genes, also split to opal and purple,. 4) INDIABLUE SILVERPIED MALE carrying two W/E genes, also split to opal and blackshoulder and 5 INDIABLUE DARK PIED (two pied genes) MALES carrying two copies of W/E genes and split for opal and purple 6) INDIABLUE DARK PIED MALE split to opal and black shoulder Regarding female: White female split to opal, 2) INDIABLUE SILVERPIED split to Opal, and 3) INDIABLUE DARKPIED split for opal All different kinds of chicks both male and female carry two copies of W/E gene.

Last edited:
Hi, You will get 1) WHITE MALE carrying (or split to ) opal, purple and blackshoulder genes. 2 ) INDIABLUE SILVERPIED MALES carrying two W/E genes, also split to opal, purple, and blackshoulder. 3) INDIABLUE SILVERPIED FEMALES carrying two W/E genes, also split to opal and blackshoulder and 4) INDIABLUE DARK PIED (two pied genes) FEMALES carrying two copies of W/E genes and split for opal and blackshoulder. All the 4 different kinds of chicks both male and female carry two copies of W/E gene.
Pedda is correct, but there are also others that you would get. You will get 1) white birds of both sex carrying two copies of the white eyed gene and split to blackshoulder - males will be split to both colours, but hens will only be split to opal. 2) Indian blue silver pied birds split to blackshoulder of both sex (as pedda noted above in both 2 and 3 - males split to both colours, hens split to opal only) and 3) Indian blue dark pied white eyed birds of both sexes split to blackshoulder - males will be split to both colours, hens split to opal only.

In theory, you should get 6 different gene combinations out of the two parent birds - 3 in the males and 3 in the females. To get purple males you would need to breed any of the male offspring back to its mother. To get a better chance of producing opal females, breed the father to one of the daughters, as they are only split to opal.

If anyone remembers, this is why I was trying to produce a genetics database - especially for the more complex breeding, but very few people showed interest even though it is a very common question on this forum.

Last edited:
I was trying to do something similar, but I'm not good on the percentages. I can figure them out, but usually just knowing the possibilities is often enough as you can't control the actual hatch % of each possibility anyways - theory doesn't always mean reality. I knew a guy who tried to work on blackshoulder bronze for almost 10 years without any success. Technically, breeding F1 offspring together from a IB BS x Bronze should yield a 1:32 chance of either sex, but I'm pretty sure he bred more than twice that number during that time. I'm hoping for it first round (two hens to one cock) this coming year by hatching every egg I can from that particular breeding.

I will have to sit down and learn the genetic thing LOL
What a melting pot you will have
big_smile.png
Keep good records and use metal bands! I tried plastic and found them on the ground so went metal and they stay on
wink.png

Mmaddie13,,glad to see you back.Maybe you want to consider going to Waverly Iowa this April? for their annual swap meet? I'm going to try and go there instead of Mt Hope.mainly because of distance. And the fact that 99% of the time there is no cell service at all and it's in the middle of somewhere,,just not sure.Waverly is a swap meet,,not an auction.If you see a bird you like it's a wheel-deal with the owner on price ect.And I'm sure the sooner you get there to when the gates opens the better.Funny you mention purples but this spring I will have 7 purple hens,,4 are purple b/s,,2 are purple and one a purple pied. My coming 3 year old male that is a Purple b/s silver pied may have his wings full with that many so I'm possibly going to get a purple b/s male for my two 2011 hatched purple b/s hens.

Last edited:
Iowa is a heck of a lot closer lol. That's a great idea. Is there a website with information on it?

This Purple B/S S/P hen is the most "exotic," I guess you could say, that I've seen on craigslist so I thought I may not be able to pass it up. But we'll see. I emailed the person asking if she is still available, but I don't know. I just don't want to get any "plain" old India Blues, you know? :) I'd LOVE an Opal but those aren't easy to find around here. :) Thanks for letting me know about Iowa, I may have to check that out. :)

Back
Top Bottom