1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

open a egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DragunzGirl, Aug 18, 2008.

1. DragunzGirl

DragunzGirl Songster

Aug 9, 2008
    Is it safe to open a bad egg? or well a dead egg? I think i have 4 bad or dead eggs, 2 that i dont see nothing, and one i see a very small dark red dot and one with some very light red ring circle.

I might have another bad egg not sure the baby is not moving and its not growing so im sure it died, i'll give it a few more days tho.

2. If you do open it, I would do so OUTSIDE just incase it's rotten.
    If rotten it will smell horrible.
    We have broken eggs that didn't progress or hatch.
    Like I said though, I would crack it outside...

3. leave them alone, unless they start to smell, keep them in the incubator.

4. DragunzGirl

DragunzGirl Songster

Aug 9, 2008
    k, i might do that. I dont smell any thing on the egg but ya i know if i do open it it might smell really bad. I saw one egg have a moist spot on the shell i think it was when i put some water in there and it splashed maybe i not sure. I just got to recheck them all.

leave them alone, unless they start to smell, keep them in the incubator.

well its day 11 i dont want any eggs blowing up on me in there...

oh i relooked i see 6 eggs out of 12 have something moving and look like what they should on day 11. Day 14 im removing eggs that dont look good.​

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  5. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Songster

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    Quote:well its day 11 i dont want any eggs blowing up on me in there...

oh i relooked i see 6 eggs out of 12 have something moving and look like what they should on day 11. Day 14 im removing eggs that dont look good.

sounds good to me and [​IMG] . good luck on ur hatch [​IMG]

6. DragunzGirl

DragunzGirl Songster

Aug 9, 2008
    Thanks [​IMG]

lets just hope day 14 is not to late :\\ I'll just keep sniffing till than.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  7. Akane

Akane Crowing

Jun 15, 2008
    I take them behind the barn and break them on a piece of plywood I leave out there. Most don't smell unless you leave them another 5-7days but if you do happen to get one that does the smell is horrible and will take days to go away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: