1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Open air coop and 4 chicks (9 - 13 weeks old) - temp around 36 degrees tonight - need heat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TXchickmum, Oct 7, 2012.

1. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    We are in Texas, and the temps have been pretty warm until the past few days. We've experienced a range from 60s (night) to 80s (day).....and it recently has topped in the 50s with an expected temp of 36 this evening. -chicks have been in their outdoor coop since about 4 weeks of age. We've actually had fans on them in the daytime due to heat. Our coop is only enclosed on two sides with hardware cloth on two sides. Is a heat lamp necessary????? -only concerned because of the sudden/significant change.

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

No, I think your chickens will be fine. Think about the sparrows and crows: they do just fine with sudden change and no one is holding a heat lamp over them. =)

3. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    At 9-13 weeks old, they ought to be well-feathered enough to withstand it just fine. Make sure that the hardware cloth side is out of the prevailing wind should you get rain. Dampness can make them unthrifty and listless. What kind of bedding is at the bottom and is there anywhere a gap between, say a nest box and the wall, that would allow them to crowd and suffocate one another? That is a concern if they haven't all gotten the hang of roosting. If you do have anything like a free-standing nest box, make sure it is tight to the wall with no room for them to pile up in the space between and accidentally suffocate the bottom of the pile.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  4. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Thanks for the replies! The chicks did just fine last night!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by