1. moody-chicken

moody-chicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Hi I have an open air run, half soil/mud and half concrete slabs. I have been putting straw down to catch the majority of poop, then after two weeks shovelling it out, washing concrete down and adding sand to the soil and turning it over and then laying new straw down over soil and concrete area. The problem is the rain saturates the straw and even on dry days it doesn't air and dry out very well so the chooks always have a wet squelchy run. The straw when wet is also heavy and sticky to remove from the run. I'm also worried about rats in areas where it may be difficult to fully clean, will they be attracted by poop? Is there something I can put down that dries out better and also is easier to remove bearing in mind the run is open air and it rains most days here. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Why don't you spread sand instead of straw? It drains well and is fairly easy to scoop poop out of, if you wish.

3. moody-chicken

Feb 2, 2013
    I guess I just figured sand would get all wet and sloppy and it would be hard to remove poop from wet muddy sand. I don't think a scoop would work in soggy clogged sand. I could try it but we rarely get dry days here in the UK, its a bloomin pain. Also the soil area would get mixed with sand so unsure how I'd clean that when damp? I could certainly try it but I'm worried first day it pummels with rain ill have a muddy pit.

4. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Here what mine look like after take care muddy problem with sand. It rain a lot where I am. If you are plan to scoop, it may be too much heavy work.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/537861/automatic-feeder-attached-to-the-coop

5. LaPetiteFarmer

LaPetiteFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Vista, CA
    As Flockmaster suggested I would definitely remove your straw and add coarse sand instead.

6. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Is your run covered? A covered run may help keep alot of rain out of the run but will also shield the drying sun. My run gets some afternoon and evening sun. It sounds like your region is more rainy than sunny. Deep sand may help but you can also use pine chips. I use that along with straw and the run stays good without much cleaning or raking. Just add fresh material from time to time. Of course my birds often are outside the run as well to free range. Not sure about the concrete..

[​IMG]

7. moody-chicken

Feb 2, 2013
    Ok thanks. Will stick with straw but add wood chips and garden leaves to the mix. If it gets nasty ill remove and replace, it's quite cheap to do. The soil area ill try a bit of sand raked in and keep turning it over. If it get nasty ill use straw there to. I guess it's just trial and error.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by