open area or woods more dangerous?

Kylea0219

Chirping
Feb 10, 2015
Varysburg, NY
My chickens free range all day and I lock them in a coop at night. I am wondering about the dangers of my chickens adventuring into the woods on a regular basis. They love to wander down the trails and forrage in the pricker bushes. . Hawks are a concern to me in the open areas of my yard. So whats worse woods? or open field? We have been lucky so far but I was just wondering. ANy experiences you guys could share on chickens who love being in the woods?

Woods are probably better for a number of reasons. Plus chickens love to lounge in the shade during the hottest parts of the day. They are fairly safe hiding under bushes and what have you. And during the day should be fine. Nothing is 100% you may never loose one to a hawk even though you see them.

My chickens definitely avoide the open spaces of their 2 1/2 acre free range. I have both open space pasture, and Forrest with brush. My birds prefer to hang at the edges of the pasture. If they want to cross an open space they do so quickly. We have all manner of Hawks, owls, and Eagles. They can dissappear into the brush at a moments notice. Interesting to watch.

Foxes and coyotes will both hunt in all sorts of terrain, and all hours of the day when they have young in the den.

I wish I could free range, but between the feral cats, neighbor's dogs and 500 gallon water troughs next door. . . . .

We do have coyotes, coons, possums, the occasional cat and mink, but they mainly come in at night when the chickens are cooped. Well, the coyote took a full grown hen turkey just outside my back door this Spring, during the day, so they are somewhat of a concern in the Spring when they are feeding pups.
I also have dogs that alert if they hear the chickens getting upset. That helps. Anyway, my losses are minimal, and I am not overly protective.

Back
Top Bottom