1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

open area roosting ideas??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by The Burg Peeps, Aug 1, 2011.

1. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    We recently added 4 BR's to our family [​IMG] and have a coop and run with a section of our yard fenced off for the birds. I have seen small ladder type roosts made and set against the fence and also putting a simple 2x4 or something in the corners. Does anyone have some other ideas for free standing roosts and such?
    Thanks!

2. The Burg Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    Bump

3. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    That's what we have. We put it under a cover and it leans against our fence. The new girls sleep on it with their roo. They were sleeping in the coop but moved outside. It's fine until it starts getting cold but by then the old hens will be gone.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    a pallet propped up on saw horses, gives a roost and a bit of shade to get under.

5. Myabcs3

Myabcs3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Vinland Valley, KS
    We have an old ladder which leans against the coop for roosting. My sons also built some free standing roosts by recycling a 4x4 timber and screwing scrap lumber at graduated heights. The 4x4 timber was then dug into the ground. Hope that helps. The flock seems to use anything to roost outside, they are not picky. Neighbors use old smooth tree limbs.

6. The Burg Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    thanks everyone for the ideas! I really want to provide some outdoor roosts for the. They have roosts in the coop but with all the heat this summer I would really love to give some outdoor roosts and if it provides some more shade... BONUS!

a pallet propped up on saw horses, gives a roost and a bit of shade to get under.

GREAT IDEA!

My sons also built some free standing roosts by recycling a 4x4 timber and screwing scrap lumber at graduated heights. The 4x4 timber was then dug into the ground.

I had thought of a similar idea, glad someone else did it and had success.

I shall start building!​

7. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Trees work real nice.

8. Renthorin

Renthorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    I have two 4x4 supporting the roof of my 10x30 run. Between the 4x4's I attached a 2x4 (flat side up), about three feet off the ground. My goal was to give them a safe place should a coon or possum get into the run. The 4x4 from the ground to the roost bar are encircled with tin (furnace ducting) to keep critter claws from being able to climb and get onto the perch.

I'm thinking about adding another level, two feet higher and off to the side, to get them 5 feet off the ground but I think that 30" is enough for now.

9. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    I sank two 3x3 posts and randomly attach tree branches. They seem to like it well enough in the cool parts of the day. They always dig down into the sand when its hot, though! [​IMG]

10. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    I built my coop out of recycled pallets on the ends of the coop i used a 5' x 12' pallet which sticks out into the run 7' I stripped the wood off so all that is left is the frame and to this i randomly added 2x4 pieces about 14in long that stick out into the run and they love these some are 1' off the ground others are 24" and 36 " they jump and fly to these all day. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by