"Open" Chicken Coop/House in NC?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cheeps, Mar 6, 2009.

1. cheeps

cheeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    Hopefully there are some folks out there that are familiar with our crazy weather in NC (Wouldn't trade it for the world though!!) We had 8 inches of snow on Sunday, and tomorrow it will be 75!!!

Anyway, I just bought from a friend a chicken coop/house that is about five foot long, three foot wide, and is closed in on 3 sides, and has a chicken wire front. Would my girls not be cold without a closed in coop in the winter? If so we'll close it in. Where it would have to go I think it would face the wind some of the time.

Any thoughts??

2. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like my coops. I am in Ohio and my girls do just fine. I think your will be fine too! [​IMG]

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Hi. I'm over in Stanley. My bobwhite coop has one small area that is enclosed on 3 sides and open on the front. They have have done fine. I did put plastic on 2 sides to cut the wind.

4. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    I am planning a coop similar to that for my girls. I am going to hang a tarp over the front when it gets too cold.

5. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    mine was wire on 3 sides... all i had was a heat lamp with them, they were fine and happy...

6. yup it should be just fine in winter time , i have some like that and my chickens do well in them.

7. robot rooster

robot rooster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    HEy, Charlotte here! I just built my new coop this afternoon and they are sleeping in it tonite!

My old coop (which I will be using for hatched chicks when they are old enough, had three sides with chicken wire for the front, and a plywood door hinged so that I can close it in bad weather. You don't want them to get frostbite.

Loved todays weather!

8. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I am very familiar with the weather. I'd close it in, or have a chance to close it in like able to place a board or something. Hurricanes can ravage through, strong winds come through, snow and then 90 degree days are all normal in this part of NC LOL. I think you should have an optional cover for Thunderstorms and such.

9. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Those coops sound like the same kind of design my friends dad uses and he raises more bantams than the standard size, all of which do very well in those kind of cages/coops.

10. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    Robot rooster, where in charlotte are you? I'm in Union County near the union/stanly county border...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by