Open Chicken Run Flooring Options

kjorgey

Songster
Mar 24, 2020
Pennsylvania/North of Philadelphia
We are finishing up the construction of our outdoor chicken run. A 10 X 8 area, with a roof, and Fort Knox predator proofing implemented. My neighbor is an arborist and promises to keep me well stocked in fresh wood chips. Today I had a fresh batch of pine chips with chopped needles delivered to my property. It smells lovely and was wondering if this would be a good option for our outdoor run area. The walls are 1/2 inch hardware cloth on the walls and a roof/spouting to keep away the rain. I know chicks can't tolerate cedar in the respiratory systems, but how about fresh pine in a well ventilated area?

I'm a little wary of fresh pine, mainly because 1) it's still aromatic, even if not as much as cedar and 2) sometimes it's very sappy. Do you see any sap in the batch that you have?

Certainly with a bit of aging (to allow sap to ooze out and to let some of the aroma dissipate) those chips would be a fantastic substrate.

No matter the chip type I'd aim to age them all out if possible, so if the neighbor can provide a pile of them to start, just stick them somewhere to age.

At the start I'd just go easy on the amount of chips used (you'll build up layers over time), and skim off the surface layer which will dry out faster.

No matter the chip type I'd aim to age them all out if possible, so if the neighbor can provide a pile of them to start, just stick them somewhere to age.

At the start I'd just go easy on the amount of chips used (you'll build up layers over time), and skim off the surface layer which will dry out faster.
Ditto Dat!

Fresh ramial wood chippings are often 'wet'...especially if they contain green leaves.
The wetness can allow a huge bloom of naturally occurring fungi and molds in the piles,
some of which are toxic in large quantities. Can infect the respiratory systems of the birds and are pretty much impossible to treat, so thus often fatal.
Allowing them to age, timing is variable. So skimming the surface of chip piles and thinner layers added to run over time is the safest way to go.

Back
Top Bottom