Open coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Amp, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Amp

Amp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Here is our coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We are working on making the run as predator proof as possible (using hardware cloth over the entire coop, etc). I really want to leave the whole front open because it get's so hot and humid here. I'm starting to have second thoughts so if anyone has an open coop can you please tell me how it's working for you.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  2. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Sorry I don't know anything about open coops but I had to tell you I LOVE your coop and run. It looks very well designed to me [​IMG] Makes me want to build an open coop.

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Lots of people have open coops in hot areas, I think it will work just fine! Is your coop and run buried at all? If not you may want to make a hardware cloth skirt around the whole thing to prevent digging predators from getting in. Nice job on your coop!

4. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    You have good opening around the top, two windows, and what looks to be a door in front. I would close up the rest of it, as that should be plenty enough ventilation. They are right about putting in a hardware cloth skirt though. The only other change I would make is to enclose the area underneath the coop, not only for added space, but sometimes they just like to get up under stuff. You have a good coop and run going here.

5. Amp

May 20, 2011
    Alabama
    It's not quiet finished, should be today but all those holes around the top will be covered, thanks. We are adding a skirt around the bottom (total of about 3 ft) and covering with lot's of dirt. Thanks for those suggestions [​IMG] We've gone over it and over it checking every possible entry place so hopefully we've thought of everything [​IMG] I'll add more pics tomorrow after it's finished

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I have one and have had no trouble! I'm one of the one's that don't use hardware cloth and haven't lost one yet!!

[​IMG]

8. Amp

May 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:I will add pictures tomorrow after it's completely finished [​IMG]

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I love it. You are off to a great start. I can't wait to see the finish project. Take a look at the link that Miss Lydia posted. You will see what others have done. We are all over there on that link.

10. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    Nice! I have thick pieces of clear plastic that I reuse every year to give more "wall" around our housing portion when our temps drop into the teens during winter. Great idea to cover the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by