Open Duck Egg Still Alive [QUESTIONS]

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by capemuscovies, Feb 23, 2017.

1. capemuscovies

capemuscovies Just Hatched

Feb 16, 2017
    Cape Coral, FL

Here's a video of the baby moving. I originally thought it was TWO babies, because the the head and body were so far apart. Here's a bit of an info summary to catch you up:
    I found this egg on the pavement near a nest, the mother would not take it back into her nest. It's a Muscovy duck egg, I'm sure. I've been keeping in a homemade incubator. I can't afford to buy a real incubator, not even a good thermometer or proper supplies. It was originally in with a lamp and water dish with sponge for humidity. Since the lamp broke, the egg is now on a heating pad on medium.
    I didn't know that the heating pad automatically turns off after two hours, so I woke up after the first night on the heating pad and it was off. The egg was freezing cold, after candling with no movement the egg was presumed dead. I headed outside to do an autopsy. I started by breaking the air pocket. Acter making a medium sized hole, ONLY THEN did I realize the baby was still alive. I panicked and put a piece of ziplock bag plastic over the hole, and secured that with a good bit of tape. She's back in the incubator being monitored. It's been about six hours from the incident and she is doing great as far as I can tell.

My questions:

-What's the chance of the duckling making it to hatch?
    -Has this ever happened before? If so, did the duckling survive or how long did it live?
    -Can I turn the egg safely?
    -If not, is it safe to leave the egg in one place til she hatches?
    -HOW OLD IS THE EGG approximately?
    -Does the neck look normal? It looks extrodinarily long which is worrying me.

2. capemuscovies

capemuscovies Just Hatched

Feb 16, 2017
    Cape Coral, FL
    Going to bump, I'm super worried about this baby

3. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    It looks like it's developing fine and it looks like it still has a few weeks to go

4. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    Be careful when turning so nothing leaks out

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If someone will tag @WVduckchick for me?
    She will help you out......She is fantastic.......I cant with this ipad......

6. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

@WVduckchick and others already answered some questions for the OP on her other thread. The advice was to try to cover the hole, either by making a cap out of the shell of a different egg, or trying some saran wrap. Judging by OP's new thread in the hatch a long section, they have opted to try the saran wrap.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  7. chickens really

Why have two threads ?

Hmmmmm....I was only trying to help......

Cheers!....;)

8. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Oh I know! I just wanted to give you a heads up! And technically three threads now...

9. chickens really

Okay.....thanks....As long as no one is mad at me for my assistance ?

Lol......:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by