1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Open feeding or once a day???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by virgogypsy75, May 15, 2013.

1. virgogypsy75

virgogypsy75 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2013
    CT
    Hi there! My six chickies are about 12 weeks. I've been open feeding them, meaning I dump a bunch of feed daily in their feeder and they eat at will. My boyfriend is saying we should give a little less so the feeder goes empty at night so when free ranging they will hear/see us feed them and it will help being them back in their coop? What does everyone else do?

2. Thirteen

Thirteen Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2013
    Texas
    Feed at will - chickens do not overeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  3. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2013
    I have been leaving the feeder out throughout the day, but have decided starting today I am going to let them eat til they stop in the morning then I am going to pull the feeder. Then in the evenings I will put it back in there just before sunset. Hopefully this will accomplish two things: 1) it will get them used to getting fed right before they go to bed to insure they come back to the run every evening so I can shut them when they free range. 2) it will cut down on the amount of feed they eat, my ducks are especially bad about wasting feed.
    Chris

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Once a day doesn't work well for me. Twice a day allows me to dial in their needs better. Virtually zero waste, which is the goal of course. It's fussier, I'll grant you that.

If I'm gonna be gone for a day or two, I'll load them up.

1 person likes this.
  5. StephieSky

StephieSky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2013
    This is good to know! I've been feeding crumble in the kennel, as much as they want 24/7. My hens are pets so I worry about how to help them live as long as possible. I wasn't sure if this was right or if they would get obese eventually because they sure eat a lot for such small creatures.

6. virgogypsy75

Apr 15, 2013
    CT

Thanks Chris! This is the way I think we're going eventually. I gotta start training them and myself for that matter which is tough because I just want to make sure they eat enough.

7. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    My young pullets eat a heap more than my older ones. I think its because they are still growing. I'd be a bit wary if taking their food away during their peak growing age myself.

8. virgogypsy75

Apr 15, 2013
    CT

Great point thank you!

9. CYNDI SHURTLEFF

CYNDI SHURTLEFF Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    I open feed, they always have feed available, and they free range as well. I don't have any "obese' chicks or chickens! As hard as ther work to forage, they burn up the calories!

10. TofuKat

TofuKat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2013
    If getting them back to the coop at night is your goal, you could entice them with a handful of scratch. My girls are free fed, but go out for about an hour when I get home from work. We just taught them the sound of the scratch bucket and it works like a charm to lure them home. We also time it with the sun starting to set, so I can't give the scratch all the credit, but it certainly does help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by