1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Open for new recipes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by readysar, Mar 29, 2011.

1. readysar

readysar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    I was wondering if anyone has any recipes that is really good that is vegetarian.

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Cheese Enchiladas

1-26count- pkg. corn tortillas
    Heat each corn tortilla by dipping it in hot oil or about 10 - 15 seconds per side and stack them on a small plate until all are heated. Cover with foil to keep warm.

2 pound package Walmart Mexican blend grated cheese
    Grate the cheese

4 Cups of Red Sauce

MAKE THE RED SAUCE:
    4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
    6 Tablespoons flour
    4 cups water
    5 chicken bullion cubes
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    2 Tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4-cup tomato sauce
    dash of Cayenne Pepper

Melt the fat in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the flour and
    cook and stir until the flour is lightly browned. Add the water and stir with a wire whisk until smooth. Add the bullion, chili powder and cumin and tomato sauce, cook until smooth and bubbly. Cover and simmer on lowest heat, about 10 or 15 minutes – I let it cook while I put the rice together. Gravy should be very thin, if not add a little water to thin it out.

To Roll Enchiladas
    Pour 1/2 of the red sauce into the pan that your going to put the enchiladas in.

Place a small hand-full of cheese in the middle and fold over and roll. Place the enchiladas in the pan in the red sauce. When the pan is full spoon the rest of the red sauce over the enchiladas, sprinkle with cheese and cover with foil.
    To serve place your enchiladas on a plate and heat in the microwave until very hot, serve with refried bean and Spanish rice.

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm assuming that you eat eggs....

Spaghetti Carbonara

1-pound spaghetti
    4 large egg yolks
    1/2-cup heavy cream
    1-tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    6 ounces thickly sliced bacon, cut into 1/8-inch dice
    2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (3 ounces), plus more for serving
    Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
    Freshly ground pepper

Directions:

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti until just al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks and cream. In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the bacon and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until crisp, 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until golden, 1 minute.

Add the spaghetti to the skillet. Cook over low heat, tossing, until coated. Slowly add the reserved pasta cooking water and beaten egg yolks. Toss until coated with a creamy sauce, about 1 minute. Add the 1-cup of Parmesan and the nutmeg; season with pepper. Transfer to bowls and serve, passing extra Parmesan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chilies Rellenos

2 (4oz) cans whole green chilies
    1/2 pound Monterey jack cheese
    1/2 cup flour
    3 eggs, separated
    1 tablespoon water
    3 tablespoons flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    oil for deep frying

Drain the chilies and cut slits in the side of each one (take care to keep them in one piece). Remove seeds and membrane. Cut cheese into sticks about 1 inch shorter than chilies in length and 1/2" in width and thickness. Place cheese sticks inside chilies and press sides together gently to seal. Place the 1/2 cup of flour in a dish and coat each chili. Place chilies on wax paper lined cookie sheet and chill for an hour.

Batter: Beat egg whites until stiff. Combine in another bowl the egg yolks, water, 3 tablespoons of flour and the salt; mix together until smooth.. Gently fold in beaten egg whites. Heat deep fryer to 375 degrees. Dip each chili into batter and then place on saucer. Slide chilies from saucer into hot oil. Fry about 4 minutes, until puffed and golden.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese
    Alton Brown

1/2 pound elbow macaroni
    4 tablespoons butter
    2 eggs
    6 ounces evaporated milk
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    Fresh black pepper
    3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    10 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded

In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BROCCOLI CASSEROLE

2 pkg. frozen “chopped” broccoli 2 eggs, slightly beaten
    1 can cream of mushroom soup 1 cup real mayo
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese 2 T. grated onion
    Salt, pepper to taste Cheez-It crackers, crushed

Cook broccoli 5 minutes, drain. Mix remaining ingredients except
    broccoli and crackers. Fold in broccoli. Top with crushed crackers.
    Bake uncovered at 350 for 45 – 50 minutes. 8x8 dish or casserole bowl.

Also don't substitute the "real" mayo & Cheez-It crackers. . It just doesn't taste
    the same. If I can't find "chopped" broccoli, which is best, I'll buy the other and
    chop it to bits!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cabbage Casserole

1 large head cabbage, shredded (about 12 cups)
    1 onion, chopped
    6 tablespoons of butter or margarine, divided
    1 can (10 3/4 oz.) cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
    8 oz. process American cheese, cubed
    Salt & pepper to taste
    1/4 c. dry breadcrumbs

Cook cabbage in boiling salted water until tender; drain thoroughly.

In a large skillet, sauté onion in 5 T. butter until tender. Add soup and mix well. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in cabbage, salt & pepper. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. In a small skillet, melt the remaining butter.

Cook and stir breadcrumbs in butter until lightly browned; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 - 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Squash Casserole
    Posted March 9, 2007 by LoveCapers

Ingredients

2 cups cooked yellow squash
    3/4-stick margarine
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup shredded cheese
    1-cup evaporated milk
    2 cups crushed Ritz crackers

Preparation

Cook, drain & mash squash. Add remaining ingredients except cheese & mix well. Pour into a greased baking dish. Top with grated cheese about 15 minutes before finished baking. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And of course there are the old favorites....

Beans, rice and cornbread

Fried rice with eggs

Cheese Pizza

Cheese Frittata

Grilled cheese sandwiches

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Awesome recipes, how did I miss this??

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Eggplant in Arrabiata Sauce

Ingredients
    Some eggplant, either one big fat one, or smaller ones that would equal one big fat one
    2-3 eggs, beaten
    A jar of Arrabiata sauce (spicy tomato based sauce) The cheap stuff is okay, but the expensive ones taste better. I usually use cheap. LOL
    Italian Bread Crumbs
    Mozzarella Cheeze, shredded
    Oil to fry in

Slice eggplant crosswise slices, like you would slice a loaf of bread. The thin slices cook faster, get mushy easier. Thicker slices tend to cook slower and the breading burns before the eggplant is cooked. Figure out the middle slice thickness. I like them about the thickness of a standard slice of bread. Maybe just a smidge thicker. NOT thinner.

Heat the oil over a medium heat. Too hot and the crumbs will burn before the eggplant cooks. While it is heating, dip slices in egg, then bread them with the crumbs

When the oil is hot enough to sizzle a little if you put in a drop of egg, fry the slices so they are golden brown on both sides.

In a square or rectangle pyrex baking pan (I guess you could use metal. I use pyrex) Put some Arrabiata sauce down, then layer fried eggplant, Arrabiata sauce and Mozzarella cheese, two or three times, depending on your slices and your pan. Top with Mozarella Sauce. I don't always put cheese in the middle, just on top, to be less fat and calories, and cheaper too.

Bake in the oven at 325-350 until the cheese is melted and has a nice golden glow to it. If no one is home and you just want to eat not fancy, you can microwave it until the cheese melts and the sauce bubbles a little. Allow to cool a little before slicing. Dig in. It will make you look like a good cook, whether you are or not. LOLOL that is why I like it. It is filling.

5. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Pancakes topped with fried eggs and maple syrup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by