Open head wound pecking

zogster

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
westford, ma
I am at my wits end. I've had chickens for 5+ years, and have never had an issue like i'm having now. I introduced 6 pullets to my established flock at the end of the spring. Things went as expected, and all was fine. We took a bunch out to show at the local 4H fair in September. The day after we got back, one of my Wyandotte's that was introduced in the spring had been pecked to the skull. She was in bad shape when I found her, and separated her out to my garage. I cleaned her up and kept her there to heal. several weeks later, as second Wyandotte was also pecked to the skull, but not so bad. I also separated her out. I can't tell who's doing it.

Last night the first Wyandotte was healed to where I put her back int he coop at night, and took out a mean hen, who I thought was doing the deed and put her in her own cage. Today the chickn that I put in last night is pecked to the skull again. I'm afraid to put the other one in, and I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions?

Whats going on?

Note:

I have 6 other hens, all different ages, and one Cock, who seems to be a very good Rooster.

ummm well set some camera's out so that you can catch the hen, and separate her..... and take the Wyandotte out of there before she gets killed by a blood frenzy

You can set out cds on fishing line and that will destract them 2 the point where they cant focus on something else they like shiny things:duc

I am at my wits end. I've had chickens for 5+ years, and have never had an issue like i'm having now. I introduced 6 pullets to my established flock at the end of the spring. Things went as expected, and all was fine. We took a bunch out to show at the local 4H fair in September. The day after we got back, one of my Wyandotte's that was introduced in the spring had been pecked to the skull. She was in bad shape when I found her, and separated her out to my garage. I cleaned her up and kept her there to heal. several weeks later, as second Wyandotte was also pecked to the skull, but not so bad. I also separated her out. I can't tell who's doing it.

Last night the first Wyandotte was healed to where I put her back int he coop at night, and took out a mean hen, who I thought was doing the deed and put her in her own cage. Today the chickn that I put in last night is pecked to the skull again. I'm afraid to put the other one in, and I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions?

Whats going on?

Note:

I have 6 other hens, all different ages, and one Cock, who seems to be a very good Rooster.
I would consider coating the head wound with pine tar or Stockholm Hoof Tar which is what I use.
Apart from sealing the wound which is important. chickens don’t seem to peck at it.
There is an article on using Stockholm Hoof Tar in my articles.

great suggestions. I took her back out, but I'm not sure if she'll make it. The other one is getting healthy. I'm gong to put her in the run in her own cage and see who comes knocking. any other suggestions would be welcome.

This works, the mean one will come running. It is like they just can't wait. It will be very obvious so be ready to snatch up your pyscho.
great suggestions. I took her back out, but I'm not sure if she'll make it. The other one is getting healthy. I'm gong to put her in the run in her own cage and see who comes knocking. any other suggestions would be welcome.

I would consider coating the head wound with pine tar or Stockholm Hoof Tar which is what I use.
Apart from sealing the wound which is important. chickens don’t seem to peck at it.
There is an article on using Stockholm Hoof Tar in my articles.
Shadrach,
I love this. Great article btw. So what is the difference between Pine Tar and Stockholm Hoof Tar? Some places use the term interchangeably. I'm going to give it a go, as I think keeping them quarantine is not doing them any good.

Shadrach,
I love this. Great article btw. So what is the difference between Pine Tar and Stockholm Hoof Tar? Some places use the term interchangeably. I'm going to give it a go, as I think keeping them quarantine is not doing them any good.
Thanks. I don't know what the difference is between the two; maybe there isn't any and SHT is just a brand name.
I've suggested SHT on a few posts but it's a 'new' idea that is in fact very old, just not common here it seems.
I agree with you that seperation is far from ideal. I try whenever possible, to keep an injured chicken with their group. Sometimes it is necessary to seperate. In such cases they come and live with me for a while.
Give it a try and let us know how you get on. It could, if it became more accepted save a lot of chickens who might otherwise die usually becasue the owners can't keep wounds clean or can't supervise the injured for a number of reasons.

Back
Top Bottom