Open Letter to the People who FREAK OUT because I eat my chickens.....

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by booker81, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Dear people....

Seriously, get with real life. I have chickens. Most of my chickens lay eggs or will lay eggs. Some of my chickens do not lay eggs because they are roosters. I don't like freeloaders in my life, therefore, those chickens will be my dinner. When my hens don't lay eggs anymore, they too will probably be dinner.

I am not a potential serial killer because I take care of my own dinner, from raising to plate. My child will not be scarred for life from learning where her food comes from. If that were true, all of your grand parents and great grand parents would be serial killers or would have starved.

I'm fine with the fact that you MUST have your meat packed in cellophane before you can even think about eating it, fresh from the supermarket factory in the back [​IMG] I'm ok with your notion that the only chicken that you can possibly eat is boneless, skinless breast packed with 10% "juices".

I promise I'm not going to come after you and yours with a butcher knife. I promise I won't slip some delicious, home grown, flavorful chicken into any work "food day" dishes without warning.

For the love of all that's good, get a clue on where you food comes from. *I* should be the one giving you stinkeye for your support of cruel and unusual practices.

Sincerely,
    Me

I know I should know better, but oh well.

2. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Anyone that eats chicken has to eat *someones* chicken.
    Whether it's a faceless corporation or a small scale farmer, unless you are catching wild chickens then you are eating someones chickens.
    I prefer to eat my own too, at least I know who last had their hand up the chickens butt. [​IMG]

Have you ever seen a cartoon called 'Cow & Chicken'? In it 'Chicken' has a cousin, called Cousin Boneless... and he... err... has no bones. Very funny.

Here's a YouTube commercial for C&C featuring Cousin Boneless Cousin Boneless

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    LOL. Good rant!!! And I'm a vegetarian and I still thought it was great [​IMG]. (for the record, I am all for people eating their chickens if they are going to eat meat.. that chicken had a good life and wasn't 'factory farmed' and you know just how it was processed!)..

4. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    [​IMG] Just going to sit back and enjoy the show.

5. goatranch

goatranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2009
    Thank you!!! I hate having to stand up for myself to someone who swings by the supermarket after work and picks up a factory processed bird for their dinner. Do they have any idea that bird probably never saw the light of day!!!! I love all my birds, and yes I eat them when it's time!!!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

People are just too many generations removed from farm life and that is only going to get worse.....they have no idea where their food comes from, other than the grocery store.

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:I agree, and it's killing us. Not only with all the antibiotics to keep the animals alive until slaughter day, but all the deadly bacterias (and soon, superbugs) that are making there way into the general population.
    Ahhh![​IMG]
    Good rant i agree [​IMG]

8. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Have not eaten mine yet, but as long as my husband processes them and I don't have to do anything but cook them I think I will be okay with it. Especially at first. Later it will not bother me as much. But the eggs and raising our own meat was the point.

We also have four hogs we are growing out. We will keep one to have bred and process the rest. Now, I am pretty sure at first they will have to go to the packing house, but later we might be able to take care of it at home. My husband has done it before....it is me that is not quite ready for it. However, if he will build me a smokehouse we could talk about it more...

But in this world we are living it I don't think it hurts us to try and take care of ourselves a little bit more. Plus, they say our eggs we will get will taste so much better and the home grown chickens we raise ourselves will be so much better tasting and for us.

We have 29 chickens right now. Too many roosters of course. They are going to have to be thinned out pretty soon. I have to say that if I only had three chickens in my back yard it would be a little harder not to get too attached to them and I am pretty sure eating them would be a little harder too.

However, being the woman that kills snakes.....copperheads.....I don't see a problem with eating the chickens that we raise for that purpose.

It all comes down to 'each to their own', doesn't it? And we are adults.....mostly.

****oh, yeah. The reason I don't let my grandaughter name everyone of them is because we plan on eating some of them. The pigs she was naming before we even got home with them....I kept telling her that they were not hers, we were going to eat them someday and that we were going to call them 1, 2, 3 and 4. I have changed on that a little bit however and now they are Piggy Sue, Piggy Jo, Piggy Ann and Piggy Lou. But you can't tell them apart.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  9. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    Well,,If the food trucks ever stop running,and we know it is very possible,we know who will have food and who won't,,just make sure your gun is loaded and handy so you can keep what you got to eat,I am proud that I can provide for my family in a way that is healthy and clean,,and tastes a h** of a lot better than plastic wrap

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well,,If the food trucks ever stop running,and we know it is very possible,we know who will have food and who won't,,just make sure your gun is loaded and handy so you can keep what you got to eat,

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by