open lid nesting box

Anny

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Detroit Michigan
I know alot of people on here have nesting boxes that are on the outside of the coop, with a little lid that opens.

This is what I plan of doing for my chicken coop, but I have NO building skills and I can't figure out how I am going to do this.

could anyone show me detailed pictures of their nesting box like this, or the box while they were building it, I think this would help me out alot.

Also if you have any tips or tricks you learned along the way that would be very helpful.

thank you much you guys are all so helpful.

Here is all I have, not that detailed.
DCP_4005.jpg

DCP_3988.jpg

DCP_3993.jpg

Thank you so much!

PS speckledhen you should really make a personal coop page your coop is SO ADORABLE! I love it.

That little opened slot along the wall with the door...is that another place to collect eggs??

Last edited:
Here are my pics, still need to add some more trim and do touch up on paint. I'm a girl and I made this completely by myself. I made the frame first with 1 x 2 , its 28" W, 12" D, and H is 13 and 16". Used mostly nails, some screws where I wanted more strength. Put the plywood floor on next, then the walls. Then the roof, which is two pieces, one screwed in and one hinged to the other. THe middle divider to make two nest with glued on with wood glue then caulked for extra support. it doesnt bare any weigh, its only purpose is a divider.

Made the nest box so about 3 inches of it will be inside the existing coop. the other 9 inches (and hinged roof) will be sticking out. I will attach with screws onto the floor and corner wall of the coop.,

nest1.jpg

roof
nest2.jpg

with roof open
insidenest.jpg

side that will face inside coop. Put a 4 inch wide plywood to keep shavings seperate.
inside1.jpg

bottom, so you can see some of the framing.
bottomest.jpg

THANK you THANK you THANK YOU one hundred times thank you. Your nesting box is exactly what I want for mine, and your pictures will be very useful in helping me figure out what the heck I'm doing.

I used 2"x4"s to frame it. I screwed my main 2"x4"s to the coop side and then added everything to those. I added cross members and just eyeballed the slant of the roof. Then put your siding on and trim it. I used a 48" piano hinge so it would open easier. Don't worry, Its not as hard as you would think. If you can , put doors on the botttom so they swing down. It's a whole lot easier to clean. You can see one trap door at bottom of box.
Copy1ofIMG_1722.jpg

Copy1ofIMG_1721.jpg

Quote:
I'd be scared if I put trap doors on the bottom of the nesting box one day I wouldn't latch them all the way and the poor chicken would fall out. Although it is a very good idea.

Back
Top Bottom