Open mouth breathing after attack

flatlanders5

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 15, 2013
Hi I'm new to this forum but have used it a hundred times since getting our chicks in April! I'm in need of advice. My neighbors dog attacked our flock yesterday. They injured two n killed two. I cleaned the injured n separated them from the others. My barred rock has the most injury n was open mouth breathing when I got to her. It has been all night n she is still breathing like that. She has laid a soft egg, drank n walked about. I see no other injuries. Help please! She is my 4yr old chick n will be heart broken if she dies.

Hi,

how did your barred rock fair? I'm sorry to hear your birds got attacked! My flock went from 9 chickens and 3 pekins to two chickens and no pekins in a period of about 3 months...a lot of raccoon attacks. Only one survived an attack, and when I found her she had a really bad leg injury and the back of her neck was ripped open. For the first day at least she was panting a lot, especially when she moved at all. I believe it was partially shock/stress and massive blood loss. She stopped breathing like that a couple days later. Hope your girl made it through!

Back
Top Bottom