Open mouth stretching neck?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kingchickies, Mar 22, 2017.

1. kingchickies

kingchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2017
    Texas
    I have 19 6 week old chicks a few of them hold their mouth open off and on and sometimes stretch their neck out. I read this could be adjusting the crop. I get handfuls of grass in small pieces, give them shredded squash, carrots, apples. They have chick grit. I'm just noticing some of them holding their mouth open some. I moved the heat lamp where it's more light heat thinking maybe they were warm. I checked the crop area of the ones I saw having their mouth open more and it was fine, no bulge everyone is active, eating, drinking, pooping...any thought?? Thanks

2. ChickenKeep01

ChickenKeep01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    I'd say they are just hot mine do this all the time.

3. kingchickies

Mar 6, 2017
    Texas

Ok thanks, I feel a bit better now. I've checked noses, listened to their chest. Ugh lol

4. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
  5. kingchickies

Mar 6, 2017
    Texas
  6. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    Well they are going to have a have a nice life I have stayed in hotel rooms only slightly bigger the that

7. kingchickies

Mar 6, 2017
    Texas
    My husband said he doesn't want to have to build more. Lol And it has to be cute because we will be looking at it everyday. I said but I'm not sure their house should be nicer than ours....hahaha. We looked through pintrest for ideas. More room, maybe more chickens?![​IMG]

8. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    Just make sure it's better then what mine was when I first got it. It was so run down covered in poop Windows were missing three was no straw on the ground and now 1 year later it still hasn't been fix pied completely it was that bad

9. kgb6days

kgb6days Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    Those are some pretty chicks you've got there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by