Open-Mouthed(err...beaked?) Wyandotte

DaviJones

Songster
Nov 7, 2017
South Western, AZ
My sister and I noticed that one of the pullets, a golden laced wyandotte, has been opening her beak and just holding it open for maybe a minute or two. We just noticed it today while taking them outside for their daily frolick and at first I thought it was panting as it was 80-90ish(and she was perched in the Sun) but it didn't really have that same movement if you know what I mean, her tongue wasnt going and such. I then thought she might be adjusting her crop but she didn't move her neck or anything and her crop didn't feel full. I'm a bit worried about gape worm but she doesn't seem to be struggling to breathe, early stages? Or is it a defensive srance as she can be slightly skittish, tamed her down quite a lot though. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you in advance!
20171202_153851.jpg
20171202_153855.jpg
20171202_153851.jpg
20171202_153855.jpg

And she always seems to always be sitting when she does this, if that helps, although other than opening her mouth, she acts healthy(runs around the pen, runs away from us when we want to catch her). Though she has been uninterested in the insects I catch her, going to watch to make sure she''s eating.

And sidequestion, those who have reared Wy''s, is her lacing coming in normally? She''s around 6 weeks, give or take a few days.

Last edited:
Thank you aart, you're the best! That's probably it, I do live in the sunniest city. I always jump to the worst possible outcome.:gig

Thanks for the input on her feathering too, does it look normal for her age?

Thanks for the input on her feathering too, does it look normal for her age?
I don't know......you need a better pic for anyone to tell.
Make sure it's in focus, well lit, no glare.
Don't take pics with sun behind the subject.
Not sure you can evaluate lacing anyway until 5-6 months when they are done with the juvenile molting.

Back
Top Bottom