open navel?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HarrietB, Dec 28, 2012.

1. HarrietB

HarrietB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2012
    my chick has just hatched and is having a well earned rest, i noticed that the navel of the chick seems to be open slightly and yellow, ive added some pics, just wanted to know if this is normal and healthy

[​IMG]

2. chicpoopscooper

chicpoopscooper Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2012
    Newfoundland,Canada
    Iam not sure if it helps any butMy newly hatched chick who is roughly about eight hours looks like that aswell.

3. HarrietB

Dec 3, 2012
    phew not just me then - had a tricky hatch because the poor thing was way too big for the shell!

4. SarahJaneB

SarahJaneB Chillin' With My Peeps

The yellow stuff is probably just the yolk the chick absorbed. Hope all is going well.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It happens sometimes when the chick hatches to quick or comes out of the egg too soon. Keep her in the incubator for a bit longer and don't touch the navel. It should come right by itself after a few hours. It doesn't look like it's bleeding at least. That's a good sign.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  6. HarrietB

Dec 3, 2012
    chick looks very happy and is drying off in the bator, how long is it until i can put it in the brooder under the light?

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That's good. Wait until it's dried off and the navel's closed. Have you got more eggs hatching? If you have any that's pipped you must be quick when you open the incubator so you don't lose too much humidity.

8. HarrietB

Dec 3, 2012
    got one more in the incubator but its not even in the air sack yet, the one that just hatched was 3 days early! im not surprised though it was too big for the shell and needed help hatching

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Early hatches are usually caused by the temperature being too high. Did you have problems maintaining the right temperature during incubation?

10. HarrietB

Dec 3, 2012
    its a brand new incubator - just a little 3 egg R-com - i wondered if its because the eggs are small (dutch bantam) i just had it on the automatic settings and its been at 37 all the way through\

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by