1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Open range

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kardar2, Jan 7, 2014.

1. kardar2

kardar2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Jones valley area
    How far will chickens wander from their coop? If I let them out all day or just in the afternoon? I will have 6 birds. I live in a small town with a dirt road. (Not a city tract home) you could put another home in between me and my Neighbors houses and 3 side of my yard is surrounded by 100' of steep hill (all up hill). I have 5' fenced in yard which I know they will fly over it. I am going to go ahead and make a pen just in case a neighbor complains. But a friend told me they won't wander to far from my yard.

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    It mostly depends on the feed access and fencing. I have three fenced areas that they rotate between. When I get new members (hatched eggs) I keep them in 1/4 acre fence, in the summer I open that fence to a 1 acre area, in the winter because there are less bugs I open the other gate for the 3 acre area. None of mine have gone out of the gate they were in. I have full access of feed to them at all times and they range really well. The main fence for the 3 acres is a 6' fence and the cross fencing for the smaller areas inside is 4'. Now I will catch them every now and then roosting on the 4' fence for a little bit but they don't go over unless I open the gate. If they have enough food they won't go anywhere as long as there is a fence of some sort to let them know where their area is. Make sure that you lock them in the coop for a week when you get them so they imprint on that coop and come back to it at night.

3. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    If they have never ranged before, they probably won't go too far for a while. I let mine out all day and the more you do it, the more adventurous they get. One day my rooster led all of the hens over to my neighbors yard, probably about 200 or so yards away, and that's the farthest they've ever gone. Keep in mind that if you range, you greatly increase the risk of predator attacks. That's about the only con of free ranging, besides annoying neighbors who try to ruin your fun. I think the birds are MUCH more happier and productive when they're on range than in confinement 24/7. All in all, chickens are pretty good about staying around. [​IMG]

4. kardar2

kardar2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Jones valley area
    Yeah better to let your neighbors chickens poop in your flowerbed instead of their cat.LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by