1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OPEN RUN! WHAT TO USE FOR GROUND?!?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mychickenbertha, Sep 10, 2012.

1. mychickenbertha

mychickenbertha Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2012
    I just finished my chicken city with several coops and galvanized fencing all around it. The top is uncovered therefore going to get real wet come fall/winter here. Is there any suggestions for the ground besides just the dirt?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    sand will be great, some dirt will help because they like dirt baths !

3. mychickenbertha

Jul 8, 2012
    Do you think the deep litter method could be used in an open run?

4. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

start collecting bags & bags of fallen leaves / pine needles / pine straw / pine cones.
    I do recommend some sort of wind block and/or wet weather cover, I used tent material last year, it was easy to flip aside on fair days.

5. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Welcome [​IMG] from San Diego County.

What you put down on the ground will be determined by your weather. Sand is an excellent choice but just plain ole dirt is good too. if its a large area Id do sand just around the coops so they dont track mud into their houses... Inside the coop is where it needs to be dry.

Also you might consider putting up some sheltered areas for winter rain or snow so they will have a snow free place to go outside.

I dont have access to tree leaves and pine needles. most of my areas are strictly Decomposed granite Drains very very well areas that have had build up of litter get slick and difficult to walk through. that is When we get rain.

deb

6. mychickenbertha

Jul 8, 2012
    Thank you for all the suggestions!

7. chicknlove

chicknlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Oregon
    I would love to see pics of your chicken city :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by