1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Open skin chick pecked by hen please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laadeebug, Oct 8, 2011.

1. laadeebug

laadeebug Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    I have a one month old chick that was almost pecked to death by my hen. He is bare and raw on his back about three inches long with a one inch gash in the outer layer that is exposing the insides. There is still a layer of tissue keeping the organs and stuff in. I put bacitracin zinc to protect the wound. He is shakey, but drank water for me. He is also, reaching back to pick at his wounds so I put a makeshift "cone of shame' on him to keep him from reaching back. Needless to say he hates it. I will try to ad a pic.

Please any advice asap!

Anything for pain?

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Yikes! Poor baby!! Keep your baby warm and in a quiet place. Keep dressing the wound just like you are. BAD HEN! :-( I don't personally know about pain killers, but I've seen several posts about giving crushed aspirin in water. Do a search for aspirin in this forum. Good luck!!

(added) Oh, do you have any kind of self-adhesive wrap? Like that sports wrap stuff? I'm not sure of the location of the wound, but it might help protect it since there's such a thin layer of skin protecting it. Just a thought.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would of course isolate him, offer mashed scrambled egg, make sure he is drinking (dip his beak in water if needed), and put a mirror in his box. Keep applying plain neosporin. When he is doing better you might put some blu-kote on his wounds to mask them from being pecked when he goes back to the others.

4. zathura12

zathura12 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    I have no suggestions... [​IMG] but what a mean hen. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by