Open the door

rainy day

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 9, 2014
Arizona
Today I let my chickens out of the coop for the first time. They still stayed close to the door. Pecking the new ground. Once they seemed to get brave and got to far away I got scared and said back inside. I would love to free range but I'm not always around for them. They are only about 10 and 12 weeks old. I made nesting boxes for them but they don't go in them. Guess cause not ready. I'm new to the chickens but I'm having fun!

They are to young to lay eggs yes. The first couple times you let them out stay right there with them and keep them out for an hour or so then put them back up they'll nap in the coop then about 3 or 4 hours later let them out again stay right there then put them up on the 3rd day you let them out go back in your house and watch them through a window keep them out for an hour. Over time let them out longer and longer until you can let them out all day and not be there. its good to be a bundle of nerves those first days you let them out you'll notice bird shadows and bird noises and such you haven't noticed before and when you see that chase your chickens back into the coop and shut the door they'll learn if you do that long enough that if you see a bird shadow run under cover or the crazy person will chase them.

I was told when they start to turn red their combs they are getting ready. I still thought I had a few months but I'm seeing red. They are growing so fast. My brother says its rubber stuff on their heads

That's true but the true indication is the squatting you can expect an egg within a week or 2 they squat when you bend down to pet them.

Okay I'll try that they run from me except when I have treats. I guess I don't spend enough time with them.

I have notice a few of them have been diging holes and laying in them. I thought this was cause of the heat. Been above 100 here lately.

Not related to the heat I am pretty sure. My Speckled Sussex do it all over to give themselves
a big dust bath ( more dirt than dust ). I use to try and "repair" the lawn where they
dug their "spas". Now I just refill them with fresh sand and enjoy the several spas
I have around.

I also use a nice brass bell with a very high ring when I bring them treats. They now
associate the ring with treats and because I have done this around early dusk,
they come home on time every day.

It is a pleasure to watch them around the yard, but if we are going someplace,
they remain in the Run.

You have reached "success" when you have enough eggs for your family,
with a few extra to give to neighbors.

Keep on Scratching
Bohemian

Today I went into my coop and one of my buff orpingtons was lying upside down in a huge dirt nest I thought she was dying or something she gave me such a heart attack she just wanted to mess up her pretty yellow feathers.

Oh yeah, they can scare you spitless when they look like this while dustbathing.

But they sure do have fun, don't they!

Chicken watching IS fun!

Back
Top Bottom