Open vent on my chicken!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mthenmom, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Mthenmom

Mthenmom New Egg

Oct 15, 2007
    One of my Hens I noticed this morning has her vent stuck open!!! Looks like its shaped like an egg in there, its empty, alittle dribbly stuff kinda bloody at times drips out, but I did notice another hen try to peck at it. What is going on with the open vent?? will it close, what do I do?? Shes one of my only egg layers- shes about 3 yrs old.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Could it be a prolapse? I would take her in and clean her up. Put on some anti pick so the other hens don't pick it apart. Then check if there is anything stuck and keep an eye on her condition.

3. Mthenmom

Mthenmom New Egg

Oct 15, 2007
    Isnt a prolapse where the insides are coming out? Nothing is coming out - its like just stuck open. I guess I should seperate her from the others, which will be a bit hard, as its winter here and she will prob be upset.

4. Mthenmom

Mthenmom New Egg

Oct 15, 2007
    UPDATE; Now it looks like a prolapse, she was off byherself, all fluffed up, and the vent was sqeezed shut but some small blood clotty looking pieces were on her feathers and looks like it is pushing out a bit. We cleaned her up with warm water and put her in the henhouse by herself for the rest of the day. The others will have to be let in tonite. Hope this resolves itself, hate to cull her as shes one of 2 that are laying, however now Im not so sure.

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Do a search on prolapse. There is a way to treat it and she can stay in the flock. I had one that prolapsed this last fall and she is doing just fine. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by