Open Water Bowls

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Superior Chicks, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I recently read that chickens actually prefer a bowl of water, rather than the "trough" style, like the galvanized waterers etc.

Except for when they are baby chicks, of course. I'm thinking of offering them water in a dog dish (heated for winter), rather than the conventional use waterers. And maybe keep a pail for them in the run, or a galvanized water dish.

Any comments, experiences or suggestions?

Ma

I also read that chickens will immerse their whole heads in water given the chance, to clean their eyes, much the same as ducks.

2. wookiee

wookiee Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2008
    I use a heated water bowl for my mature hens. I have never seen them dunk their whole heads, but I have heard it can happen.

The biggest problem I have is they kick bedding into the water. It just inspires (coerces) me to dump and clean the water at least once a day. They get fresh water and I have an excuse to visit the chickens. Win, win.

[​IMG]

3. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    I'm fairly new but my experience is bowls collect a lot of debris, poop etc. If you must try one have it up about chest high with something over the top so they won't try and perch on it.

4. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I use the same bowl as wookiee does, I have mine raised up on a concrete block to keep shaving out. It doesn't heat unless temp drops below 40. It's worked wonders in the frigid coldness.

5. HSmamma

HSmamma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    I also have the same bowl for my mature hens, raised up on bricks-it helps but I still need to change the water every other day. I also have a large rock in the middle so no one goes for a dip in the pool.

The bowl works great. Love it.

-hsmamma

6. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i use 3 gallon rubber tubs i fill 2 of them up each morning with hot water and that way if they freeze you dont break the bowl trying to get ice out iput one in the coop and the other in the run

7. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I also have the black rubber bowls, set up on bricks, and they do just fine. I re-fill them each morning.

8. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have a heated bowl like above, raised up a bit off the ground. I also have a heated 5 gallon bucket and then an unheated plastic waterer under the heat lamp. Most of them choose to use the bowl. I add to it daily and clean it weekly.

9. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Dog bowel will work great.

Omran

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I use a small plastic bucket, about ten inches deep and wide, and I can clip the handle to the wire so they don't tip it over, and yes, they do dunk their heads, the hens and the roosters. I live in So Cal, so it is never cold enough to freeze or cause frostbite here (normally) and I am thinking about changing over all my runs to the bucket waterer because it is so easy to refil from outside the pen, dump the water far away, and it cleans out easily. It is also easy to see at a glance how the water looks, how much is left, plus, I like seeing them enjoy the water so much more that way. They take deep beakfulls and just let it slowly roll down the back of their throat, dip their wattles, sometimes their whole faces. I think it is a good thing. Only downside, I think I toss more water with the bucket, but that means the chickens get fresher water more often beacuse it is easier to evaluate water quality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by