Open Wound Advice (picture)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mireo, Aug 8, 2011.

1. mireo

mireo New Egg

Mar 29, 2011
    Went out to feed chickens this evening and found one of our five week old Cornish X Rocks with an open wound. This is our first year raising chickens, so not sure what to do. We took her out of the pen and put her in a box away from the other birds. I hadn't noticed any picking or anything, but I may have missed it. She appears to be fine otherwise.

Picture 1

Picture 2 (Close-up)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I posted initially on how to help the bird but...
    I just went to the site and checked out the photo.

What do you think got her? I wouldn't bother treating the bird. It's large enough to process. My vote would be to process the bird - depending on what got her. I almost wish you posted this in the meat birds section of the forum for the people who specialize in those birds to view your pics and offer advice..... perhaps we could get your post moved there?

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Is it bleeding? If not, clean with a solution of 50% hydrogen peroxide and water. Apply plain antibiotic ointment. Keep her separate from other chickens. Electrolytes and vitamins in water . If it gets red and inflamed , then antibiotic oral medications may be in order. Good luck.

4. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    You're rasing her to be a meat bird, correct?

5. mireo

mireo New Egg

Mar 29, 2011
    Yes, she is a meat bird.

6. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    That looks like a wound from a predator.
    I have read that we should skip the hydrogen peroxide and simply keep it moist with antibiotic ointment and keep it covered. Then remove bandage and clean the wound each day removing any dead skin. reapply antibiotic ointment and keep it covered. Don't allow flies to lay maggot eggs in the wound.
    Good luck.

7. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I'm not sure about the peroxide because I see some internal organ? It doesn't look damaged you could stitch her up. You want to clean her up with what would be best, saline solution, betadine (get some more input on this)? At least clean her up with some lukewarm water so we can see what's going on?

8. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I'd process any injured meat bird like that now. My only question would be if she's edible at this point.

It's not worth the pain and suffering of the bird - or the pain and suffering of you. I

I also want to edit that if you are going to be eating her soon - you should also consider that if you give her any sort of medication right now, you may be eating that medication if you process her soon.

9. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Quote:Yes, a predator, seems raccoonish to me. She looks alert though so I think she could be fixed up.

10. mireo

mireo New Egg

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:She was in a chicken tractor with the rest of the birds, and no one else was injured... I wonder what might have gotten in there. If it was a predator, I'd like to avoid letting it get at the rest. Hm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by