Nksg75

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Needville Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hello fello BYCers
I have a 4 year old hen who I am pretty sure was attacked by a stray dog.
The problem is that I didn't catch it the same day it happened. I saw it the next morning.
From the smell alone it's infected, so I am working on getting rid of the infection by flushing it 2-3 times daily, and I have her on baytril.
My daughter is the one holding her in the video, and yes, I forgot to put gloves on. Shame on me.
Anyway, the smell is not nearly as bad as it was yesterday.
She is eating normally, pooping, and overall handling it better than I am.
Any advice on what my next steps should be with her?
Continue as is, or ??
I have so many things on hand to use. I am not at a loss as far as that goes.
So tell me what would be the next steps I should take.
Ok here is the graphic video I took:

For a wound that deep, I would initially use a little weak betadine or Chlorhexidene and water to wash out the wound. Stop the peroxide—it will prevent wound healing. Apply plain neosporin ointment twice a day to keep it moist. Use saline from then on to irrigate or clean the wound. The wound needs to close up on it’s own from the inside out. As it heals use a gaze pad soaked in saline to blot the wound., and keep up the antibiotic ointment.

Since the odor is leaving, she will probably heal unless she has internal injuries. Is she eating and drinking? Can she stand up or walk?

Thank you eggcessive!
I just got Mrs. Lee back up and running, now I got thrown a curveball!!
Ahh, well, at least it keeps me on my toes.
Is this what you were talking about?

image.jpg

If it is, I will start using this instead of hydrogen peroxide.

I actually picked it up today, and after reading the instructions, it says dilute 1 teaspoon of this for every gallon of water.

I have been putting the triple antibiotic cream (w/o pain reliever) on the wound after I flush it out.
Is it supposed to go on the surface, and down into the wound? This is what I have been doing, but not sure if I should be leaving the inner walls of the wound alone.

Also thoughts on Baytril?
Continue for a few more days?

For a wound that deep, I would initially use a little weak betadine or Chlorhexidene and water to wash out the wound. Stop the peroxide—it will prevent wound healing. Apply plain neosporin ointment twice a day to keep it moist. Use saline from then on to irrigate or clean the wound. The wound needs to close up on it’s own from the inside out. As it heals use a gaze pad soaked in saline to blot the wound., and keep up the antibiotic ointment.

Since the odor is leaving, she will probably heal unless she has internal injuries. Is she eating and drinking? Can she stand up or walk?

I’m taking a pic of your post to put in my on-hand med folder for (hopefully never potential) future use. Thank you!

Thank you eggcessive!
I just got Mrs. Lee back up and running, now I got thrown a curveball!!
Ahh, well, at least it keeps me on my toes.
Is this what you were talking about?

View attachment 1645317
If it is, I will start using this instead of hydrogen peroxide.

I actually picked it up today, and after reading the instructions, it says dilute 1 teaspoon of this for every gallon of water.

I have been putting the triple antibiotic cream (w/o pain reliever) on the wound after I flush it out.
Is it supposed to go on the surface, and down into the wound? This is what I have been doing, but not sure if I should be leaving the inner walls of the wound alone.

Also thoughts on Baytril?
Continue for a few more days?
Yes that is what I would do. You can press a little down into the wound as well to keep it moist so it will heal feom the inside out. Baytril is very good to use as an antibiotic. Dosage is 5 mg per pound twice a day given orally.

Back
Top Bottom