Open Wound. Help!!! UPDATE

TurtlePowerTrav

T.K.'s Farm
7 Years
Jul 29, 2012
Oregon City, OR
My Coop
My Coop
Tonight while doing my weekly inspection of my 7 chickens, I found a 2" tear in the skin of one of my BR's. It is just below the saddle on the left side. It is from my cockerel mounting her. She is not in pain and has been eating, drinking, pooing, laying and just doing all the things chickens do fine. I have her and her sister BR in the tractor to heal. I assume it will take about a week? I brought her in and washed the wound gently and put lots of double antibiotic ointment on it. I am going to go to farm store tomorrow after I get up to get some Blukote. Is there anything else I should get? No bleeding, muscle is intact, no infection I can see. Just from the cockerel mounting and pulling the skin away with his claws. Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BTW; this is the first injury I am having to treat.

Last edited:
Honestly I use neosporin for our chickens cuts and abrasions after cleaning it and disinfecting it. I had a couple hens get attacked by dogs and I just kept it clean and applied that and they healed up great. No signs left at all

Last edited:
Should I get the Blukote? The injury is covered by her wing and saddle, so the other birds don't know the wound is there. Will the Blukote attract attention? The ONLY reason I even found it was my weekly inspection.

Be careful with some of those "caine" type pain relievers. Like lidocaine, benzocaine etc.
"caines" are toxic to birds. You will need to read the label to see what kind is in yours.

Sounds like you are taking good care of your chicken.

Here's a link to a thread about wound care that I like. Lot's of good info. Pay attention to post #16 by three horses, good info there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/203024/cat-attack-hen-skin-ripped-pic-graphic-help-please

Imp- good luck

Be careful with some of those "caine" type pain relievers. Like lidocaine, benzocaine etc.
"caines" are toxic to birds. You will need to read the label to see what kind is in yours.

Sounds like you are taking good care of your chicken.

Here's a link to a thread about wound care that I like. Lot's of good info. Pay attention to post #16 by three horses, good info there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/203024/cat-attack-hen-skin-ripped-pic-graphic-help-please

Imp- good luck

Actually, the only ingredient in the Biactrin is Zinc. Thanks for the info

It is kind of depressing. My 2 Barred Rocks want out of the tractor sooo bad to go hang with everyone. But I know that Blackie's wound needs to heal for a week or two. I found out how my cockerel tore her skin open. His rear toes point inward like his spurs will once they come in. So I thought I would use the cat claw trimmers to dull his claws. Well the shield that is built onto them is far enough back that I clipped the blood vessel on three of eight toes. Oops. I grabbed a bowl of flour and grabbed him and held his feet in the flour for 5 minutes. The bleeding stopped. I hope my BR's calm down soon. They just keep pacing back and forth. But everyone else is pretty much hanging around the tractor. Blackie is super attached to Pig Pen, the cockerel, and was letting him mount her with the open wound. Thankfully It is not so bad yet and did not tear any muscle. So she is on the road to recovery.

Blackie had been pacing the tractor all day. When I just got home from the store she is on the top of the nest box, not inside, laying an egg. Now she is not pacing. I think she wanted to lay in her normal box in the main coop. It is where she always has, all of 3 weeks now. Got some Vetericyn wound spray and treatment. Has anyone used this before? how well did it work. It was a little more expensive than Blukote, but pretty much says the same things about treating. Just no staining with this stuff, and it is a spray liguid/gel that slowly evaporates. I have to spray the wound 2-3 times per day until healed.

Back
Top Bottom