open wound? tumor?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ZangFowls, Aug 17, 2013.

1. ZangFowls

ZangFowls New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    We have a Red Star who has a growth at her hip. The majority of it seems to be "outside" her body. We found it after some dirt had been mashed into it. This afternoon we checked on her and the growth was open. The dirt is out but it looks and smells like some decay had occurred. A bit of bleeding too. She limps a bit but doesn't seem to be in pain. We're new to the backyard chicken realm. Any tips?

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Start with washing it, bring her inside if you can. Then check it out further, apply blue Kote, and you really should keep her separate from the others (so they don't peck at it) and keeping her where flies won't get at it will be important. Good Luck and post back.

3. ZangFowls

ZangFowls New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    Thank you HollyDuckFarm. We're using a betadine/neosporin combination and separating her from the others. It's not worse. Will try to find the Blue Kote tomorrow. One of the gnarliest wounds this EMT has seen and treated.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    What do you think the wound is from? Do you think it's really a tumor? Do you have pics? Sorry for all the ?s but I'm very curious about this. You might get more responses from other Duck Folks if you XPost this over to the Ducks Forum. It seems to me that if its not getting worse than that's a good thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by