1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opened air coops? Care to share pics and experience?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stone_family3, Feb 3, 2013.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Interested in coops like this (it's just a pic I pulled off google). I'm in zone 5 (ohio) and was wondering if this type of coop would be plausible? The frame of the shed we're using is in great shape, but the outside will need to be replaced and I'm looking for some ideas to make the space more efficient. The shed is 8'x7' and will hold no more than 12 laying hens. However I usually move up to 24 hens for about 8 weeks during the spring due to raising some meat birds for my dad. The open air side faces the East.

I was thinking of taking one side of the coop off and then removing part of the floor to make a covered run area.

This is the type of coop I'm talking about

[​IMG]

This is the plans I have

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    IMHO most breeds would do better in what you are planning. I think you can never have too much ventilation.
    Lots of people talk about concern with drafts. I really don't worry about drafts if the birds aren't wet. The last 2 coops I built have 1/3 of both the east AND west wall open. I will shutter one opening on the windward side when a big storm is moving in but most of the year the openings are bringing a nice breeze in and I have no health problems.

I always say chickens die from bad air but not cold.

3. bilder

bilder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    Growing up all we used were open air coops like the one you pictured. Main concern would be to keep them dry and out of the wind when it is cold outside. Chickens can stand quite a bit of cold, but they do not seem to like wind chill.

4. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I have an open air coop
    [​IMG]

of sorts. The whole back side of the building isopen with hardware wire and we have 6 open windows with wire. The east side is the one that is totally open. The hens have a house inside the coop to sleep in and they use that every night rain or shine.The morning sun comes up in the morning and helps dry up all the dropings. I also believe a highly ventilated coop is the way to go after researching it. Our coop doesnt have bad odor also and that is a big plus!

5. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Awesome you guys are great, I was kinda worried my idea sounded stupid. I wouldn't think the wind would be too much of a problem since three sides would be closed (though when it is warm the doors would be able to open to screen doors.

6. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Below is my open air, Wood's style coop. I got the design from an old book I got from Amazon. 'Fresh air poultry houses'. The design of this coop is almost 100yrs old. The front of the coop is wide open year round. This is my 3rd winter with it, and I've had zero problems with humidity and frostbite. We can get temps into the single digits, not including windchill.
    Jack

[​IMG]

7. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Beautiful coop, if you don't mind me asking what part of the country are you in? Do you ever have issues with snow blowing in?
    What a beautiful coop, Do you have issues with snow blowing in? Is it on wheels so you can move it around?

8. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Thanks, I'm in NorthEast MD. There are no issues with snow blowing into the coop. Any snow that does come in, doesn't amount to anything to worry about. In the winter, all the other windows are shut. The only ventilation is through he open front. I been out to the coop when the wind was blasting right at the open end, but because there is no through path for the wind to go, you don't feel any air movement at all back by the roosting area. But you still get the max ventilation/air exchange needed. My coop does not have wheels, but there is a Wood's style coop on this website that is built on a trailer. It can be hooked up and easily moved where ever they want it. Below is a pic in winter mode.
    Jack

[​IMG]

9. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    That's so awesome, thanks for sharing.

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    From research I've read about the first large scale producers trying open sided coops about 100 years ago, they said the snow would blow in and sometimes drift quite high.
    Yet they lost no birds from the cold compared to the huge numbers of birds lost to bad air with producers that "cooped up" their birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by