Opening a small poultry retail store... any interest?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by astylishgirl, May 15, 2009.

1. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    I was in the retail store business for many years. I had a stationery and Paint your Own Pottery store. I still have an online stationery store. Anyway... I have some experience with this.

I am thinking of opening an account with Ware and also getting ID bands. For the id bands, I would sell them to the people on here at a reasonable cost and they could any color combination and size combination that they chose. I would also offer the Ware products at a very reasonable price.

Does anyone have any interest in this? Would there be a demand for this? Especially the Poultry ID bands? I am not looking to make a ton of money... just a small sideline.

2. astylishgirl

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    What other things do you need that you can't find at reasonable prices? I can open other accounts as well.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I would like to see a place to get a variety of ID bands without having to buy huge amounts of single colors. Not familiar with Ware products, will have to check on that.

4. astylishgirl

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    That was my thought about the id bands. Because of my retail background, I can easily open an account with different companies.

5. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    do u have a link to their bands?

6. astylishgirl

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    no, but I will have a website. I am talking to several wholesalers at this time. I will carry whatever bands anyone wants. I personally want the ones that wrap. But if someone wants something else, I can carry that too. I want to have them available in mixed sizes and colors at a more reasonable price and quantity than I have been able to find.

7. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    I will be interested. I have to stop my hobby poultry for a couple months, and I found someone to foster most of my birds for that time (yay!!) BUT I would LOVE to be able to buy a variety of id bands wihtout paying out the wazoo for eighty six million just so I can have a few of each color.

Other interesting items may be chicken0related kitchen stuff...towels/teacups/salt n pepper shakers, tiles,

maybe a line of chicken-scneted candles (hard boiled egg, pine shavings, chicken fluff)

ok, so I got a little silly witht he last bit.

Maybe quil items? I have had a dickens of a time finding ANYTHING for quail. Except eggs.

Maybe egg cartons, sell em by shorter stacks than 1,000?

Just ideas. I'm no genius, but it seems that ANY poultry supply is best bought in bulk, and I know a few folks who just can't buy in bulk since they live in small homes.

Who knows? I think you have a great idea hatching...

8. astylishgirl

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    Thank you! Since I retired from my store, I have sort of been itching to get back into it!

9. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I know what the bands are, but what do you do with them?

10. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Oh, definitely do the bands. They stopped making the size that fits my birds, so I can't find anymore of those... and I'm running out. If you got em... I'd buy em up real fast! lol Any show prodcuts would be good to sell if you'll be selling bands: Pink Spray, Sweet Oil, etc. LOL the candles would be hilarious. I would totally buy those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by