Opening Incubator during lock down, brain storm

Penturner

Songster
9 Years
Feb 1, 2010
Reno Nevada
I am completely and about as unshakably certain that not everything is understood about what happens to the egg as I can be about anything. far to many chicks get lost at this point. Humidity is simply to easy to bring back up fast for it to be the whole problem. In fact my gut tells me it is not really all that much of the problem. I want to share something I noticed in my last couple of weeks of playing with my home made incubator.
At times I have had to open the bator after it was all warmed up and pretty well stable. of course I have no eggs so it does not matter except it plays heck with my temperature, which is what I am trying to get fine tuned. I have two bottles of water in there pretending to be the eggs just in case that does make a difference later. since these bottles are clear, it is real easy to see what is going in inside my eggs. and they are complete with a little air pocket. I began to notice that every time I opened the incubator water would bead on the wall of the bottle like an ice tea glass does in the summer time. only in reverse. this water is inside my egg. I am thinking that one result of opening the incubator after lock down is that the air cell gets filed with water and does not have time to evaporate before the chick pips internally. also where did all that beading water come from? other parts of the egg, possibly resulting in shrink wrapping the chick. the problem may not be so much a drop in humidity as it is a drop in the surface temperature of the shell at the air cell when an incubator is opened. If you absolutely must open during lock down, blasting the eggs with a blow dryer may be more effective than trying to get the humidity up faster.

that's interesting......my eggs have just started day 2.....so i have some time before lockdown. i was planning on putting a soaked dishrag in a bowl and put that in the incubator to keep humidity up (heard that from someone). but what i wonder is this.....what if i want to mark a chick after they hatch with just a little food coloring applied to the top of their head or chest? i wanted to dip a Q-tip in the dye and quickly mark the chick. but i sure am afraid of doing this cuz i really don't want to open the bator while other chicks are hatching.....and i will NOT open the bator.....i just won't mark the chick.....but i wonder how people DO mark chicks while still considering the other eggs that have pipped or are zipping?

This may sound like a stupid idea, but I'm okay with posting it for folks to tear apart anyway
wink.png
I wonder if you could install on the sides of a homemade bator some heavy duty latex gloves...you know sealed off on either side, like they do for premie baby incubators. If you could do that and leave a pen inside, you could mark chicks when they hatch, move them if they disturb other eggs, turn the eggs, etc. The only issue I could see would be getting them sealed off really good, but I wonder if it'd work?? you could maintain a good humidity and temp and get your hands in there to take care of business without contaminating eggs too. Just a random thought....
big_smile.png

Penturner sounds logical enough,

Chiknut, can you get the long q-tips with the wooden stick and use them and stick thru the vent holes on the bator

long Q-tips is really a great idea! i wonder where i can get them? i bet online somewhere. i'm sure the chick would walk (or hobble) under the hole at some point.....and then i could give him an instant punk hair color! ha ha! good idea though.
clap.gif

Doctors offices have them, maybe your doctors office will give you a few. I have also seen them used for gun cleaning, ask around I am sure you will find them locally. Good luck !

Back
Top Bottom