Opening Mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ginjaninja86, Mar 24, 2013.

1. ginjaninja86

ginjaninja86 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Hello,

As well as losing a chicken on Friday (RIP Madeline), Marion is now all puffed up and won't eat much.

I've brought her in out of the cold and set up camp for her under the stairs so I can keep an eye on her whilst I'm in the kitchen, and I've noticed she's started to "yawn" every few minutes.

She has fresh water and I've been putting flubenvet in the food for the last few days as I wasn't sure if this is what took Madeline from us, but she isn't interested in eating or drinking now.

What could it be and what can I do to help?

Thank you.

2. Tanith BHH

Tanith BHH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2012
    Does she feel thin? Have you felt her crop? Is it hard? Sorry for all the questions, can't answer just yet..
    Sorry for your loss.
    You are doing all the right things it seems, and I use Flubenvet too, it's great!

3. ginjaninja86

Feb 14, 2013
    She does feel lighter than usual, her crop at the minute feels soft.

What is the difference between impacted crop and sour crop? I don't think I'd feel comfortable holdin her upside down to make her sick... Is there anything else I can do?

4. ginjaninja86

Feb 14, 2013
    Ok, so I bit the bullet yesterday and followed advice on how to make her throw up. All this black stinky mess came out of her and after a few hours, she seemed a lot perkier. She had a tiny bit of yoghurt and oil, but then it was bed time.
    This morning I've checked her crop and it's still empty, that's a good thing right? Other than water, yogurt and oil, should I give her anything else? She's only pecking every now and again at what she's got, she still doesn't seem interested really.
    She's still a little puffed up too.

Thanks.

5. Tanith BHH

Tanith BHH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2012
    Sorry I haven't replied sooner. Black stinky stuff?! hmm... Keep her inside for a few days, feed her yogurt the first day and then if no more smelly stuff comes out then begin to feed her layer's pellets or whatever you feed them. Keep feeding the yogurt though. Glad she was feeling a bit perkier:) and yes that is a good sign usually if her crop feels empty, but if it still does once you have started feeding her her usual diet again then it means she isn't eating, and obviously this is bad!! It should feel quite full when she goes to bed, and empty in the morning. Impacted crop is when a long piece of grass, string or occasionally straw gets stuck in the crop and causes a blockage so that when she eats the food can not get past and as a consequence the crop feels very hard. I think sour crop is when some food stays in the crop for a very long time and goes sour. Their breath often smells horrible.
    It sounds like you are doing all the right things, but if her condition doesn't seem to be improving in a few days you should probably contact the vet.
    Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by