Opinion about my Wyandottes and Brahmas please?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Countrypunk92, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Any opinions on the birds? Good or bad?

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Concerning the standard? ( and if no, please ignore my reply, this is pertaining to the standard, otherwise I'm sure they're great pets )

The Brahmas are the worst of the three [​IMG] Sorry but if we're talking honesty and standard - The color in general on them all is a little lacking (needs more black in feet feathering, saddle of male) but better than too much or DQ black; all the girls appear to have very pinched tails, the male's back and tail is rather lacking, they all appear to have skulls that don't seem very wide, nor does the brow come out very well, the male's comb is quite tall especially towards the back, so the final question is going to be - How's their weight?

As for the Wyandottes; - The BLRW and SLR appear to have better general bodies and tails than the SLW's but are they LF or Bantams? They almost look bantam. The wing carriage is really low though. The SLW look like normal hatchery stock. Females are varied in type and color but none are serious show worthy birds, sorry. They all are lacking in the rear, have pinched tails, generally poor to very poor lacing, and lacing skull shape. The rooster's tail looks to be a squirrel tail (90 degrees, DQ) and his saddle should sweep up well to his tail which should be carried at a low angle.

A couple of the SLW hens appear to have decent color and type but it is hard to say. I'm still curious though, are they too LF or Bantam? How's the weight?

If you want to get serious best thing to do is purchase the American Standard of Perfection, that always helps answer your questions. Even if the descriptions are confusing or don't make full sense, the illustrations can often give a general idea. But, in hatchery stock, I tend to find two common faults one must never have - Pinched tails and severely underweight birds.

Hope that helps, and hope it didn't sound offensive. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  6. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Blrw are bantam

Brahmas are heavy. 8-10 lbs

Slw i know some def look hatchery, but some are pretty nice, and I am aware of the roos tail and back, but I havent really found any other dq, unless you have? Their heads seem to be right from thw standard. I am not trying to have show birds, just wondering the quality of them. Especially the bantams and the slw roo. Brahmas do have pinched tails, one hen has big saddle feathwrs, one doesnt. And I boticed not enough black. Thwir heads are big and wide. I can take more pics if u want.

7. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    Please post some more pics.If you don`t mind,Thanks again,Sandra Huffman,NC

8. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    I cna tell u one thing you know your birds and thy are so beautiful.Idon`t see athing wrong with them except I would love to ave some for my self.The Bramas are so beautiful,th ones that have feathers on feet and legs.They are all precious to me[​IMG][​IMG] I can get some hatching eggs PLEASE!!!!! How much do u wantfor some of these BEAUTYS [​IMG]

9. GARYZZ1

GARYZZ1 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    NICE BIRDS,DON`T LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENT.GETTING SOME THIS WEAK.

10. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    If you're not breeding for the standard of perfection, why worry about their quality? [​IMG] Like the above post said, they're nice birds- not outstanding, but nice none the less.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by