Opinion, Can I fit a Coop in this space?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RandomUser, Apr 23, 2009.

1. RandomUser

RandomUser New Egg

Apr 23, 2009
    Hello, I raised chickens as a kid and I am now interested in doing the same with my kids. I have land and no neighbors for about 1 mile so they will be free to roam wherever they want. Problem is my wife does not want me to clutter up the yard with a coop so I am trying to integrate it into an existing structure, I have this space below my kids swing set and I thought of building a small coop in there. An enclosed stacked space above a run ( If I remember that is what you called it ) One problem is grass does not grow on the bottom and I presently have creek rock there. Is this a problem? The space ( on the inside measurement ) is 51x51x48 and is near the tree line so the chickens can roam in cover if necessary.

Like I said I did this as a little kid so I forgot most things and am just get excited by the idea.
    [​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sure, a number of people have converted play structures like that, it can certainly work [​IMG] You have approximately 16 sq ft, which would give you enough room to give 4 hens 4 sq ft apiece indoors... the run can include the part under the upstairs coop but should be 2-3x larger, at least.

If you cruise the coop design pages (link at very top of this page) you can find some examples of other peoples' conversions and maybe get some ideas [​IMG]

Don't worry about it not being grassy -- it would not be grassy for more than a few weeks once you put chickens there *anyhow* [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun, welcome to BYC,

Pat

3. rhythmicgoldfish

rhythmicgoldfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Barrington
    you could even extend the run a bit under the bench and slide

4. RandomUser

RandomUser New Egg

Apr 23, 2009
    Quote:What about the rocks? Can I leave them or should I remove them?

Thanks

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Suggest taking them out (you can lay them on a wire 'apron' on the ground around the run fencing, for predatorproofing, if you want), topping up with gravel or sand or soil if needed to make the area level or slightly above surrounding ground, and then putting on any run footing you wish (organic or inorganic) or just leaving it dirt if you prefer.

Have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by