opinion is this silkie roo show quality?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cream puff, Nov 17, 2014.

1. cream puff

cream puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Here is my 6 month old paint silkie roo. Could someone tell me if he would be good to keep for breeding/showing? He's very healthy, he just started crowing. Is he a keeper? if so why and if not why, I need good constructive criticism.

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    well, first of all, he's a splash, and no. His single comb is an instant disqualification. Sorry. [​IMG]

3. cream puff

Jul 20, 2014
    pretty sure paint and splash are the same thing

4. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona

5. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Paint silkie:
    [​IMG]

Splash silkies:

[​IMG]

In addition, splash is an officially recognized color, whereas paint is not.

6. cream puff

Jul 20, 2014
    I stand corrected :) where do you get the info? is there a website that you refer to? I looked all over BYC to look into the colours (when I first got my silkies) and there seems to be a lot of confusion about paint/splash. If you have a link, I'd love to see it!

Tally ho

7. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    From both the Standard of Perfection, a book all about chicken breeds and what to look for in show birds, and the silkie thread (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread) here on BYC. I raised show silkies for several years, and learned a lot from all the people in silkie show biz.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by