Opinion needed from those familiar with Sicilian Buttercup

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by galefrances, Sep 12, 2012.

1. galefrances

galefrances Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Newstead, NY
    I am very new to chickens. When I placed my first order, I was very careful to choose breeds that were appropriate for the climate where I live. But then one day, in a moment of stupidity and a lapse in jugement, I ordered two Sicilian Buttercups. I was struck with their beauty and I am Sicilian so.... I selfishly thought it would work out. The breed is quite beautiful and rare, but it does not tolerate the cold at all. I live in Western NY. Big mistake. The rest of my flock are cold tolerant. My coop is not heated, nor is it insulated.And even if I did provide heat, they would be even less likely to go outside and they do not like confinement. So now I would like your opinions.

Should I rehome them? Or, do you think there is a way to get them through the winter?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    If you rehomed them, where would they go? Anyone leaving for Florida? I don't think heat should be provided for any chickens in the winter. So long as they can get out of the weather and wind they still should be ok, except you would have to worry about frostbite on the combs.

1 person likes this.
  3. galefrances

galefrances Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Newstead, NY
    Thank you Galanie. I've been worried about this since I got them. I've tried researching just how low a temp they can tolerate, but there isn't anything out there on the internet. It just says they don't tolerate the cold. But you're right....where the heck would I send them. I guess I'm just overthinking this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by