opinion of black astrolorps

I have been told really great things about black astrolorps. I have been told they re great layers and have a realy good temperament I am thinking of getting some of these in the spring
Welcome To BYC! :welcome

Each of us will have our own experiences to share with particular breeds.
I had a couple of BA, one died fairly young with a reproductive problem. The other one is still going. She lays nice large brown eggs, is fairly docile and gets along pretty well in a mixed flock.
It's always fun to try out different breeds. Get a few and see how they work for you.

My first Australorp were wonderful hens, friendly and productive. My current Australorp is flighty and nutty, and doesn't lay very well. Breeding can dictate more than breed how they will be. They are currently off my list. They are supposed to be a good all around breed, but individuals can differ from the average.

Must admit that Australorps are on the bottom of my list. Haven't been a fan of their personalities, although, a great option for anyone seeking lots of pretty brown eggs. :) Ultimately, opinions will vary from person to person. Try them if you're interested, and suppose you aren't impressed.....there's no obligation to get more. :D

~Alex

My Romana is a good girl. She lays large tan eggs almost every day. She was a bit if a bully around point of lay, and the ringleader to plucking feathers from my young roo, but has mellowed out nicely. She isn't cuddly, but she's calm and comes over for treats. Not as much personality as some of the others.
She's not my favorite hen, but she is a fine one, and I would recommend the breed to anyone looking for a docile bird that lays well.
20181128_123723.jpg

I have been told really great things about black astrolorps. I have been told they re great layers and have a realy good temperament I am thinking of getting some of these in the spring

I am new to Australorps. I am in love with these sweet birds, especially now that they are laying...their sweetness has just grown! My ONLY problem is that I can't tell one from another...so naming them has really not happened. My little ladies started laying the 12th of November and I already have over 2 dozen eggs from 4 birds...2 started the week of the 12th and the other two started this past week.

Attachments

• IMG_4087.jpg
    IMG_4087.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 6
If you do decide to get some, try to find a breeder to buy your stock from as opposed to a hatchery. My australorps are bullies - just like all hatchery birds I've had. Nice to people, just mean to other chickens.

I have 2 laying nice eggs daily. My coop is inside a 4ft fenced chicken yard and one stays put and the other prefers to fly out and hunt bugs in the rest of the yard with my little white bird (don't know her breed). They will follow me around and are sweet and calm birds but don't want to be held. I love em and will probably get a roo so I can have more!

Back
Top Bottom