1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

opinion on Brinsea Octoagon with pump

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by teutschb, Mar 1, 2011.

1. teutschb

teutschb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2011
    Alliance, OH
    I am going to order this incubator. I was wondering how others like it? I don't seem to have any luck with the Big Giant. So, I am going to try this one, so, I just wondered how others like there's. I'v had problems with the humidity with the Giant. I'm hoping this one dose better. Please give me some feed back before I buy!! Thank You All! Chris-Ohio

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I have a Brinsea pro 20 with the auto turner and pump. I absolutely love it. To me it was worth the extra money. Ive had mine for about 6 years now. The only thing is I find the digital reading to be slightly off from the button. No matter how many times I pull the button off and line it back up, its still wrong. I just keep an extra hygrometer in their to double check.

3. beesong

beesong Chillin' With My Peeps

You won't do better. I absolutely love mine. Very, very precise. (I even love the faint sound of the pump when it's working -- makes me think of an old dog at night, lightly snoring. It brings back memories of many old dogs I've loved over the years.....) I had guinea eggs saved that I couldn't put in it when I started the first batch, so I'm putting them in a Hovabator 1602 that I bought just for hatching, figuring "what the hey;" I might as well lose them trying to hatch them without the Brinsea as to letting them age out. Being spoiled by the Brinsea, I find myself grumbling at the Hova -- it doesn't come anywhere close to the Brinsea's precision. I have to watch the temperature constantly. Who knows if it will hatch anything for me. But I know the Brinsea will!

4. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Yes, I love the pump noise! Very reassuring to know that its adding humidity when it needs it! Im listening to mine right now.

5. beesong

Quote:So glad to hear I'm not the only one! I almost didn't post my feelings about the pump sound ...... after all, who loves PUMPS???

6. beesong

sorry -- duplicate post. can't find how to delete it completely.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I absolutely love the Octagon 20 Advance. The only thing I noticed was that the digital read out for the temperature and the actual temperature down by the eggs was different. I would say that the read out is correct for where the sensor is at the top of the incubator. The temperature down in the egg tray is actually cooler. I got the Spot Check thermometer to verify this and used it to adjust the temperature at the top of the eggs. Once I did that, I didn't have to fiddle with the temperature again. The pump works great. Pretty much set and forget since it has an auto turner as well. Highly recommend that incubator!

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have three of them. 'Nuff said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by