Opinion on certain breeds of geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by marvun22, Jul 31, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I have just started my money saving for my next huge poultry project. I am going to keep my same chickens. I'm just going to add onto my duck flock. My plan is to get more Geese. I only have room for two right now. My new plan is making a whole new waterfowl pen. I am planning to have 20 ducks and 10 geese. I am saving up to get the geese and make their whole new area. I need your opinion on some breeds I'm getting. I'm getting 2 of everything, except Canadian (I'm getting 4). The only thing I've had before (and currently) is African Geese.
    Breeds:

Canadian
    Sebastpool
    Buff
    African
    Toulouse

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I love my buffs.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    You will need 4 pens with pasture and housing and water sources for January - June each year. Geese will not stick to their own breed, and less aggressive breeds will be bullied away from food sources and picked at by the more aggressive/teritorial likes of Canada geese and African geese.

1 person likes this.
  4. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I believe my African Geese will be with my ducks, as their guardians.

5. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    If I order 4 straight run Canadian Geese that are Pinioned, what do I do if I get 3 males and 1 female? Would I have to put 2 males down?

6. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    One more breed added. I added Toulouse.

7. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    You don't want more males than females as you will likely have over breeding, they can cause lameness and other injuries as well as cause baldness and stress. All of these things are not good for the gooses health.

Toulouse are great. I found that they were very calm, fairly quiet, and nice to have around as weeder geese. Mine would free range with my ducks and just hang out. They always went back in the coop at night on their own.

My American Buffs are awesome, I would recommend them to anyone. They are quiet, calm, and also excellent foragers. Mine were super broody this year and made great mothers. They don't do well as flock protection though. They will warn you of a predator in the yard, but won't protect.

I am new to sebastopols this year but LOVE LOVE LOVE mine! (thank you CelticOaks!). Not only are they gorgeous, but they LOVE my ducks and they love to just forage and hang out in the pastures. I do not have a fence up so they free range with the ducks and they NEVER stray out of sight. They are a little louder than the other breeds I've raised, but only when someone/something is out of place or in their "space". They are super smart, put themselves to bed, and always make sure the ducks are put to bed with them (I house young muscovies and welsh harlequins with them). They are super affectionate and love other waterfowl :)

8. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    Well its good that I now have reviews on almost everything. I own African and I put a good review on them. You say Toulouse are great, Buff are awesome, and you love Sebastopols. So the only bird I now need a review on is the Canadian.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by