Opinion on Cooop Size vs. Amount of Rhode Island Hens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Brookside7, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Brookside7

Brookside7 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    I found a coop that I'm interested in getting so that I can start enjoying the Backyard Chickens experience.

The measurements are:

• Chicken Coop Dimensions
      Outside
      :
      82 in(L)x52in(H)x27.5in(W)
      2100mm(L)x1330mm(H)x700mm(W)

Inside:
      Coop/House Inside Area is 25.5" x 25.5"
      Approximately 4.5 sq.ft
    • NEST BOX Inside
    21" long x 11" deep
    Run Area Inside Measurements
    Total Run Area Is About 64" long x 25.5" deep
    Approximately 11.3 sq.ft

Now, we would like to get Rhode Island Red hens. How many hens would be best and healthy for these dimensions?
    (Note: They will be allowed to free range at least a few hours a day.)

Thanks!​

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

4 square feet (inside) is (minimum) recommended for ONE chicken. 10 sq ft for outside.

3. darncat

darncat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Agree Kathyinmo...one hen. I did want to share my zero knowledge about hens with Brookside7. I got hens in March 2011 and came here to BYC forum to make sure I was getting the right amount of hens plus wander around the forum to educate myself a little too. I had my heart set on 6 to 8 Rhode Island Reds but after posting the measurements my coop was fine but my pen was too small. My heart sank. But I did go by what the response was and they were spot on ! 4 healthy RIR's is what I have. The kind folks that are on this forum are sooooo knowledgeable and you will find yourself visiting the site for practically any chicken issue. Love BYC forum ! :D

4. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    As said, the minimum of interior space is 4 sq ft per hen, but you want to take into account where you live. Places with lots of rain/snow/cold need even larger coops, as the girls will be inside for long stretches. Also take into account the breed. RIRs are more active and more hen-on-hen aggressive than others. They need to free-range, they need more interior space, etc, or you'll have pecking problems. Spoken from experience.
    --see my coops, interior and exterior on my live-streaming web cams at www.HenCam.com

5. Brookside7

Jan 31, 2012
    Wow, complete bummer. :/ Guess I'll keep looking.

6. Brookside7

Jan 31, 2012
    I love the hen cam! :)

7. Brookside7

Jan 31, 2012
    [​IMG]

This is the picture. I guess it just looks bigger online... lol

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

It does look very cute. It is just very small. That screen door is not even 3 foot tall.

Good luck in your search for a coop!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  9. FarmingForFun

FarmingForFun Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    You could always go with bantamized RIR's then you could probably have 3-5.[​IMG]

10. Brookside7

Jan 31, 2012
    -sigh- And the search continues. I originally intended to build my own, but need to find a coop plan with the instructions (since I'm no carpenter... lol) and with the right dimensions. We're thinking on about 6 Rhode Island Reds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by