Opinion on hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chick Lover, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Chick Lover

Chick Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    Hi,

I've never tried to sell hatching eggs before...so I'm not sure what pricing would be, or even if people would be interested in mix of breeds. So, could you give me your opinion on price, if people would be interested, etc. Thanks!
    The breeds would be:
    Cuckoo Marans (hens) mixed with Single Comb Brown Leghorn, Black Langshan, Sicilian Buttercup, or Mille Fleur D'Uccle(Roosters)
    Single Comb Brown Leghorn(hens) mixed with Single Comb Brown Leghorn, Black Langshan, Sicilian Buttercup, or Mille Fleur D'Uccle(Roosters)
    Those would be the only hens I would be absolutely positive about

Then, I could just say that the mix might have any one of the breeds I have. Which are:
    Cuckoo Marans, Speckled Sussex, White Giant, Single Comb Brown Leghorn, Black Langshan, Sicilian Buttercup, or Mille Fleur D'Uccle.

I know, there are a lot of variables.....but that's why I want your opinion on it [​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

P.S. I don't want this to be a full time effort, so I can't seperate them to keep track of the eggs, breeding, and such. I'm just trying to earn a little extra money.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If I were adding to my flock I would want to add pure breeds. Not trying to be a snob but I like to have some idea of what I'm getting. That said I guess there are some out there who just want to hatch some eggs so a mix will do. So I don't think you could charge as much as you could for a pure line. Someone else will have to give you a guess on what you could get, I don't follow those prices..

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  3. Chick Lover

Jan 27, 2012
    Ok, thanks. I don't think you're being a snob, I think the majority of people want pure bred chickens. But, I do like to have both pure bred and mixes, some of the mixes I have are the best chickens I've ever had.
    Thanks for your opinion! All I really want to know is what other people think about it.

4. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    I will be looking for hatching eggs this time next year and thought I'd give you my thoughts. Sure I'd like to have a pure bred, but in my experience with dogs - the mutts are always the best. I think as long as I knew that I was getting a chicken that was a layer and not a meat bird, and as long as I knew if it were bantam or not, I wouldn't be that bothered by it being pure bred or not. Something that some people who really want pure breds might be thinking about is whether they are cold or heat hardy too - but if you could just state the overall conditions that your flock are used to and that should be fine. I think it would be fun to find out what came outta the egg! There are some beautiful mixed breeds out there and having that one unique one in the flock would make it stand out. I don't think you could charge the same as a pure bred one you were for sure about, but most people already know they are taking a chance at hatching a roo and that's really my only fear. (as I can't have roos here in town). Just my opinion. :)

5. Chick Lover

Jan 27, 2012
    Thank you for adding your opinion!
    Yeah, I like mixed breeds too, I have some awesome looking ones that people would probably never guess what breeds they came from. Maybe I should set up a contest to have people guess.....

Anyway, yes I agree with you. I think I'm just going to sell the eggs for eating instead.

Thank you both!

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Here's the problem.

Hatching eggs tend to be pretty expensive. No matter what the price per egg, shipping is high and nothing can be done about that. There is the cost of packaging to ship them. Then the hatch rate is usually low, A 50% hatch is excellent.. Sometimes only 1-2 eggs will hatch.

So normally, people will only pay that high cost to get something special. Something that they can't get any other way. They are willing to spend a lot and take a gamble because it is their only option.

Some people just like to hatch and they don't really care what hatches out. They would buy your eggs, but the price of the eggs would have to be minuscule because there is nothing you can do about the cost of shipping, or about he way the postal service brutalizes eggs.. Nobody wants to end up with $10 or more invested in a mixed breed chick.

If you can find buyers locally who can pick up eggs and not pay to ship them, I think you could sell hatching eggs. Many people just want an egg layer and don't care what breed. Many people just like to hatch.

7. Chick Lover

Jan 27, 2012
    I really appriciate all that info, but I was just planning on dealing locally. Thanks!
    I've decided that I'm just going to give this idea up [​IMG]

Thank you all so much for your opinons! I really really appriciate it!

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Look on Craigslist. I see mixed breed hatching eggs on my Craigslist from time to time and they probably sell. Some people just want some fertile eggs to test out a new incubator, some really like having mixes. Doesn't hurt to try it.

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I would probably pay twice what eating eggs would cost for mutts. Maybe 6$ at the most.

Mutt chicks are really cheap to buy, so anything above $6 would not be worth the risk for me. I would only get mutt hatching eggs locally too. Nothing wrong with mutts, in my opinion!

10. Chick Lover

Jan 27, 2012

That's a good idea! I didn't think about Craigslist, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by