Opinion on incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BroosterSpringsteen, Nov 6, 2012.

1. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    I'm asking for an upgrade to my old worn-out Hovabator for Christmas this year. I've narrowed down my choices to either the Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance or the R-com 20 Suro. They're basically the same price. The Brinsea has a humidity gauge, but no humidity control without the pump. The Suro claims to have humidity control. Does it? Or is it just a digital display like the Brinsea? Any opinions on these incubators? I find a lot more reviews for the Brinsea than the Suro, but good reviews all around for both.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Brinsea has specials on right now. I'd go with Brinsea. Haven't heard much negative about them at all!

Though I like an incubator that holds a lot of eggs. How many does the R'Com hold?

3. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    I think they both hold 24. Having an egg limit is good for me. It keeps me from getting carried away. This summer I bought so many hatching eggs, I have them stacked on top of each other in the turner. [​IMG]

Leaning towards the Brinsea. There seem to be a lot of Brinsea fans.

4. aoxa

I need to hatch enough to break even :D That's my excuse! hahah

I never stacked them two high. You can do that? I'm going to blame you when my fiance gets mad at me for doing it :celebrate

5. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Yes! You can stack them! I saw in the forums where someone said the Hovabator turner will hold another 13 eggs in a second layer, but if you add more than that, the turner will stop working. It worked for me.

6. aoxa

:weee

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by