Opinion on Pekin drake with Mallard girls

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chooniecat, May 12, 2010.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I am desperately trying to place a Pekin drake I erroniously got and my only decent option as of today is a person that got 2 girl ducks from TSC 2 years ago(she says they're mallards)and shes not far from me(1 hour) and shes offered to let the drake in her pond. she actually DID have a mallard drake but he flew off. possibly my pekin would terrify her mallards or hurt them or what?she feeds her 2 cracked corn and they sound bonded with her and I am afraid of drake causing chaos with smaller/different breed. opinions????????

2. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    well first off they need more than cracked corn...second, my parents have 2 mallard hens, 2 pekin hens, and 3 pekin drakes, the drakes got a little aggressive towards one of the mallards, but after separating them out for a bit, and reintroducing them it is better. I know there are pekin mallard crosses, someone posted a picture of one once...

3. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    my pekins are fed layer crumbles(have been for 7 years) and thats what I thought domestic ducks were suposed to eat. given as hers are mallards(basically wild) should they eat like wild ducks (whatever THAT would consist of? the 1 yo drake I am trying to place was fed strictly cracked corn by previous owner and he appears ok but.....I will suggest she get more appropriate food but then again what do I KNOW? I certainly don't want mutt babies coming out cause they will be basically domestic ducklings(if 1/2 pekin) and won't be able to fend for themselves when adults.

4. classroomducks

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    so she does not have any shelter for them then...ok. I have no idea if a pekin/mallard cross would be able to fly...my guess would be not because the size. And if they dont have shelter, then i would find a different place for him to go. As far as food goes, my understanding is that cracked corn is simply that. a starch. All ducks, wild breed or domestic, need more nutrition than that. But i assume the ducks also eat free range so i guess that would be ok. but as far as the babies that would result from the cross...my guess is they would "sitting ducks" in the pond. Anyone else have input on that?

5. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    She has a shed they go into in the winter(?) thats what she said when I asked and they are ALWAYS free range which I am not fond of but he's kept in an 8'x8' kennel at my house (MY pair of pekins is allowed to roam from morning to sundown, then they're locked up) I NEED to place him(have $,back issues and haven't been offered anything else for him) so I feel desperate. he at least would be in a pond and. like I said, I will suggest to her(she seems to love her 2 mallards)that she feed layer crumbles(if THOSE are appropriate) I DID have 2 drakes and someone with a lone female pekin(she had to euth. her drake) took one and I have had the remaining drake for a couple of weeks alone. he's eating well but paces constantly when he sees my other mated pair loose(him and my drake fight thru the fence)

6. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    OK-this is a moot point as I just texted her with my concerns and she said"forget it"her husband didn't want the trouble. guess I am glad I didn't go with her. thanks everyone.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  7. classroomducks

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    try posting him on craigs list...free pekin drake to a good home...hope you find a place for him. sorry couldnt help more.

8. Maddiesmom

Maddiesmom New Egg

May 12, 2010
    My sister has one Pekin drake and one Mallard duck. She gave me eggs which in turn I incubated and hatched. I currently have five ducks left (after giving some away.) There are two females that look like mallards and one female which is mixed black and white. My males (2), one looks just like a Mallard drake and the other is a mixed black and white. I've never had any problems with them. They are about a year and a half old and are huge. Everyone who sees them says that they are the biggest ducks that they have ever seen. I put them up in a pen at night and let them out first thing in the morning. They act just like kids! I don't think there is any problem with a hybrid.

9. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    PLEASE REMEMBER PEKINS CANNOT FLY so he would have no way to get out of danger if he is sitting on a pond. If I am wrong, someone correct me, but I know my Pekins cannot fly. I think Mallards and Muscovys can, as well as wood ducks. How would he get away from predators? I know it is now moot, as she isn't taking him, but for anyone who wants him, let them know.

Good luck.

10. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I just got a response to my craigslist ad,thats how I placed the other drake I had with a woman that had a single pekin duck, and its a woman from Pekin Duck Rescue in st. louis and she is passing thru ohio so I may have her take him. I do NOT want him left out unprotected at night but finding someone to protect him 24/7 seems impossible.I hate to compromise but....(on MY part anyhow,since he's straining me in a couple of ways) I checked her out a little and she seems legit so I may let her take him and SHE can screen potential adopters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by