Opinion on this baby chick? Live or die?

Yes, cotton ball, cotton square. You know, those things we use on our faces.

I'm sure she is blind in that eye. Just keep it clean until the chick gets a bit older. Keep her safe. She will adapt to her lifestyle.

None of the other chicks treated Kiki any different because her defect was not really noticable to them.

She will be fine, really.

I have started the cotton swabbing process!
smile.png

How many times a day?

Last edited:
Once is enough. Otherwise you will make your sweetie nuts!
th.gif

Also, it will make you crazy. More than once a day will be too stressful for the little one. Don't "rub" just pat. Be sure the cotton ball is not dripping, but good and wet with warm water. A couple of gentle pats to clean it off will also be soothing to her little eye.

You'll see in a week or so her eye will most likly dry up if it is oozing. You may want to do this once a week or so as she grows.

Deal with the fact that whatever happened has left her vision greatly diminished, even non-existent. But, if that is all she ever has to deal with, she is a lucky bird to have you looking after her.

She mostly likely will grow up healthy, happy and "directionally challenged." But she will be able to thrive and hold her own with her one good eye. Could be worse. If she had a bad foot, then you may have more of a problem.

Just love the little creature. She'll be adorable.

Write if have more questions. And, Kiki says "hi."

Geri

Tell Kiki I said hi also!
smile.png

I was VERY lightly rubbing the eye from top to bottom. I guess I should've known to just tap. But I'm pretty sure the eye is blind. When it's open, it looks all foggy. So, isn't that a confirmed blind eye?

It's OK. I'm sure you didn't do any damage. Just be very gentle.

Yes, it sounds blind, but does it matter?

You could take her to a veterinary opthamologist. However, unless your prepared to pay for surgery, I'd just assume she can't see out of that eye.

Again, relax, she is fine. It is more of a problem for you than for the chicken. She doesn't know the difference and she is not in pain.

Think of it as she has a different view on the world. She is lucky she is not out in the wild, she lives with you and your job is to keep all your critters safe from harm, warm when necessary and cool when needed, fresh food and water always available.

Plus treats. Got to have treats.

Enjoy your "one-eye wonder." Feel good that you can take care of her.
thumbsup.gif

Kiki is a trip and one of the cutest chicks in town. If I could fashion one of those cool looking eye patches and not make her crazy, I would. She's adorable.

Geri

Last edited:
And, like yours, blind in one eye. See, she grew up just fine.

When she was tiny, her eye "oozed" a bit, hence the daily patting with warm water. No ointments or medications. Evenually it stopped and just stayed like that. Her pupil looked as though it was always looking behind her and her eye was always half open.

However, she gets along just like any other chicken...except sometimes it appears "directionally challenge" but she gets there. She's not missing any meals!
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom