1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinion on this mix of feed? ***Updated after three months***

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 1littlefarmer, Oct 15, 2011.

1. 1littlefarmer

1littlefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Hudson Valley, NY
    So I just found a relatively local farmer that grows and mixes grain for animal feed. At $8.50 for 50 pounds it definitely has an appeal especially since Layena has gone up to $16 for 50 lbs. I should add that my chickens also free range all day and that I have no idea what the "Poultry MiniPack" is other than I assume it's some type of vitamin/nutrient additive.

[​IMG]

So what do you all think?

They also have oats, wheat, and rye that I could have added in.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. kittykittykitty

kittykittykitty Luvin My Chickies

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    That looks similar to what I feed my hens.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Mini Pak is indeed the vitamin/mineral package.

Great price for 50#. Give it a whirl. If that particular blend doesn't perform, try another. I know I would.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Try it and see if your chickens like it.

5. 1littlefarmer

Jun 20, 2009
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Thanks for all of your responses! I think I'll give it a shot.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Keep us posted on how they like it.

7. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

It's feed which should be better than nothing. It is hard to tell the quality from that "tag". Try it, at $340 per ton there can't be much extra in it.

8. 1littlefarmer

Jun 20, 2009
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Well, it turns out they like it very much. They've been getting it for almost three months and the egg laying has been good and they all seem as healthy as they did before if not even a little better. Their egg shells have been harder, too but they've also been going through more oyster shell.

I'm definitely going to stick with this. It's cheaper, local, the chickens love it and I can actually name and recognize all the food that's in it. That's pretty cool.

9. looks good except I would have added some flax to it and an animal protein (fish meal) to replace some of the soybean meal.

My reasoning is to up the omega 3 and give them a more complete protein profile with the fish meal. Im not a big believer in 100% vegetarian mixes.
    I know they will get some bugs free ranging, but it is hit and miss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by